Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

005842-images.jpeg

Statesman reports that Apple will be opening a "pop up" store at the South by Southwest (SXSW) conference in Austin, Texas this Friday. Wilemon said the deal for Apple's popup, or temporary, store came together quickly. He said an Apple real estate representative notified him Monday that the company had settled on Sixth and Congress for the location. "They came in town on Monday, did a quick tour, found a spot, and they're in there working and will open by Friday," Wilemon said. "We would have loved to have had them" in the Second Street District. "They're just a great draw."The store will be timed alongside both the start of the SXSW conference as well as the iPad 2 launch. SXSW conference covers film, music and interactive media.

Article Link: Apple to Open 'Pop Up' Temporary Store at SXSW for iPad 2 Launch

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Interesting move. Seems to be a good idea.

I can picture the next move being Apple Store buses/RVs that drive around to events like Sony/PlayStation does.

Maybe they can set up next to the Microsoft table.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Not only will they sell massive amounts of iPads that weekend... the mere fact that we are talking about this is another brilliant move!

movieboy23

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007
Brilliance. They're gonna move a ton of product.

Note: The customers who buy the 3G iPad may not be too thrilled given AT&Ts shoddy track record at SXSW in the past. And I wouldn't be too sure that those who spring for the Verizon model will be much better off. It's just a clusterf**k of people.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Note: The customers who buy the 3G iPad may not be too thrilled given AT&Ts shoddy track record at SXSW in the past. And I wouldn't be too sure that those who spring for the Verizon model will be much better off. It's just a clusterf**k of people.

AT&T is putting up portable towers again at SXSW this year. :)

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yay for people that are going to be there. Wish I was going to be closer...I'd drop on by.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Awesome.
I've long mulled over the notion of "instant retail stores", able to move in/out on short notice. The one missing piece from the concept was short duration coupled to an event.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Great idea, I'm sure a lot of people attending the show won't want to miss out on getting the iPad 2 - and the new Garage Band to boot.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006

AT&T should be fine this year. My iPhone worked fine downtown during SxSW last year, seems the temporary and permanent changes avoided the disaster that was 2009 (that I was thankfully out of town for).

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Wait, Austin hipsters and an Apple store at the largest music event of the year (for Austin at least)? Nah that idea's DOA lol:p I'll definitely check this store out next week!

macdaveaustin

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
Lots of boxes

I saw at least two large FedEx trucks being unloaded at the Scarborough building. Hundreds of what looked like iPad shipping boxes were among the contents of the trucks. Maybe this is why shipping dates for the iPad 2 are delayed - Apple's hoping to sell direct right here in Austin.

Not sure what time the pop-up store is supposed to open, but I'll certainly be dropping by when it does.

macdaveaustin

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
Pop-up store is open

Has anyone checked it out? Is it open yet?

It's open. Must have been at 5 pm when the iPad 2 was officially on sale. There was a crowd at the corner where the store is and long lines around the block in both directions. People were walking out and proudly displaying their brand new iPad 2's and Smart Covers. Local media was there, as well as bloggers.

cbeyond

macrumors member
It's open. Must have been at 5 pm when the iPad 2 was officially on sale. There was a crowd at the corner where the store is and long lines around the block in both directions. People were walking out and proudly displaying their brand new iPad 2's and Smart Covers. Local media was there, as well as bloggers.

yeah...the line is stretching around the block for the ipad2
the timing is right, this weekend is the interactive part of sxsw
it's on the southwest corner of 6th and congress for anyone looking for it...but it's hard to miss because of the lines...lol
i didn't even think about trying to get a peek inside

veterator

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2007
Oklahoma
iPads everywhere!

Drove through Austin while on vacation and decided to stop by an see the store. Wow, in and out in less than seven minutes, counting the time in line at the door! They had iPads stacked everywhere. We walked out with both a black and a white 64 GB/wifi. If you're in the area, or not, and want an iPad this is the place to go. 6th Street and the crowds in the area were amazing.

whiskeyred

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
Just got back from the pop-up store had all wi-fi models, lots of stock. Under an hour wait time in line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.