Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
I want to get a a good speech to text app.
I would mostly use it for Word (posting at MacRumors) and if possible for running OS X.
Does anyone know what is the best app is for my needs?

P.S. Price does not matter.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
None of them are completely accurate. I've played around with iListen and that seems quite good. You need a good mic(usb) and spend time getting it to cope with your voice.Comes in various flavours,US UK OZ maybe others.
Thinking about it the do package deals including mic.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Sorry this is a little off topic, But I've always wondered why the speech-to-text and text-to-speech seems to have evolved so slowly over the years (is it because there is little incentive for companies to do so?). I remember when I got my powermac 6100AV back in the mid-90's; it had both text-to-speech and speech-to-text capabilities. The stuff out now doesn't seem all that much better in the voice-recogintion dept, while all other aspects (storage, memory, proc speeds, software etc.) have advanced so far. What gives?

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
I think its the difficulty with regional accents and so on. Its hard to get above the low 90's for accuracy. According to some sites for people who have different problems typing(pyhsical and dyslexia mainly) Apple have been working hard on this for a long time and maybe the first to crack it. But were probably talking years.
I'm not sure but I think IBM have more or less given up developing ViaVoice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.