Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
How's the performance improvement with day to day use - and please say what you do with your Mac! I have 8GB at the moment, with 2GB dedicated to a Windows VM - don't do that much in terms of photos / movies but still find I'm getting page outs sometimes.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
I got the Corsair Mac Memory from BestBuy here,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair...&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=4852602

Used ShipToStore so I saved shipping. Installed it the other day, ran memtest, and RAM passed perfectly. Working great so far.

I bought the Corsair memory (16GB) from Fry's a couple of weeks ago for $109. However, I bought part number CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9 vice CMSA16GX3M2A1333C9. I called Corsair and the tech told me that in reality they were they exact same memory from the same production line, but the latter (Mac) part number has just been specifically tested to work with the Mac. Well, my thought was, since my MBP uses the same intel processor as any other laptop, for the most part, I'd go ahead and take a chance and buy the cheaper version. Immediately after install, I ran extended diagnostics with zero issues. I've been running it for a couple of weeks now and so far (knock on wood) it has been purring along like a charm. I know it was a bit of a risk, but I figured if it was really the same memory from the same line, the odds were good (not perfect but good) that it would work just fine. So far so good.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
If I swap out the SuperDrive...

If I use a kit to swap the super drive on my 13" MBP with, say, a 750 GB WD HD, is there a "shell" kit that I could put the super drive in so I could continue to use it as an external drive when needed?

Nov 28, 2010
located
If I use a kit to swap the super drive on my 13" MBP with, say, a 750 GB WD HD, is there a "shell" kit that I could put the super drive in so I could continue to use it as an external drive when needed?

Depending on what kit you use, there will be an enclosure for the ODD coming with the kit.
MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

Or you could look for enclosures for the ODD on eBay.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I bought the Corsair memory (16GB) from Fry's a couple of weeks ago for $109. However, I bought part number CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9 vice CMSA16GX3M2A1333C9. I called Corsair and the tech told me that in reality they were they exact same memory from the same production line, but the latter (Mac) part number has just been specifically tested to work with the Mac. Well, my thought was, since my MBP uses the same intel processor as any other laptop, for the most part, I'd go ahead and take a chance and buy the cheaper version. Immediately after install, I ran extended diagnostics with zero issues. I've been running it for a couple of weeks now and so far (knock on wood) it has been purring along like a charm. I know it was a bit of a risk, but I figured if it was really the same memory from the same line, the odds were good (not perfect but good) that it would work just fine. So far so good.

Well, I got the 8GB version of Corsair memory that was specifically tested for Mac but am having problems. I really wonder what goes into testing exactly? I wouldn't worry about not having the mac version.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
Well, I got the 8GB version of Corsair memory that was specifically tested for Mac but am having problems. I really wonder what goes into testing exactly? I wouldn't worry about not having the mac version.

Yeah, I knew it was a crap shoot, but for $109 I took a chance. So far so good. Time will tell if it stays good.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
How's the performance improvement with day to day use - and please say what you do with your Mac! I have 8GB at the moment, with 2GB dedicated to a Windows VM - don't do that much in terms of photos / movies but still find I'm getting page outs sometimes.

I love 16 gebees. I normally have 4 VMs open. At the moment I have none open. But OS X will cache files into memory even if you aren't using it, so things speed up.

Although my box is already plenty fast since I already have an intel SSD inside.

35hh1k0.jpg

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Yeah, I knew it was a crap shoot, but for $109 I took a chance. So far so good. Time will tell if it stays good.

I don't blame you. If I could, I'd try to get my money back so I could buy 16GB instead of 8. FCPX likes a lot of memory.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I love 16 gebees. I normally have 4 VMs open. At the moment I have none open. But OS X will cache files into memory even if you aren't using it, so things speed up.

Although my box is already plenty fast since I already have an intel SSD inside.

16GB RAM and still 560MB of pageouts? Looks like you need the memory!

Higney85

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2011
Wirelessly posted

windowstomac said:

I'd say very good. I did the upgrade to 16GB and it's nice. 4GB to W7 in parellels, lion gets 8-12GB depending on playing with W8 beta (4GB also in parellels). I also upgraded to a 750GB momentus XT at the same time. I can do whatever and whenever without lag. Before (8GB total) that wasn't the case.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
16GB RAM and still 560MB of pageouts? Looks like you need the memory!

Remember that these values are cumulative from the time of the last restart, so with some like me that could be days or even weeks, and that type of page out over such duration is not very much. The true measure is to restart at the start of the day, use normally during the day, and then check at the end of a normal day of usage.

StevenSeagull

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
I've got an early 2011 17" Macbook Pro.

I'm ready to upgrade to 16GB ram, but am still after reading not sure about which route to go. It appears it's anyone's guess as far as bad ram goes but is there any need for the Mac specific memory like the one sold at best buy/newegg? I DJ with my laptop on the weekends and would rather be safe than sorry in a real time environment.

Anyone weigh in on this?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It appears it's anyone's guess as far as bad ram goes but is there any need for the Mac specific memory like the one sold at best buy/newegg?
Depends on whether or not you need warranty support. Be prepared to be told "not compatible, too bad" if you do have problems with non-Mac memory.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
16 GB Crucial here and like other people using the 16 GB, I'm loving it. You only see a really noticeable difference under heavy loads but when you have a bazillion programs open at once, the difference is pretty substantial. I did a few benchmarks back a few weeks ago that showed that the 8 vs. 16 had no difference on a benchmark under light load, and so that shows that it will only benefit some users.

And if you think $230 is an "insane" price, you should have seen when it was $1,400!!!! :p

toppolarbear

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
South East
Late 2011 with 16GB Axiom

16GB really helps for someone who runs a lot of apps like I do. A noticeable difference.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-27 at 1.00.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-27 at 1.00.34 PM.png
    37 KB · Views: 201
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.