Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:28 AM   #1
mumblefish
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to mumblefish Send a message via Skype™ to mumblefish
Mac OS X Lion and Python

Hello Everyone,

First post here. I am a software developer, however I'm running into a slight problem. For my next project I will be using Python, but Mac OS X seems to ship only with 2.x. I'm wondering if anyone knows the specifications (in terms of software) for Mac OS X Lion. Will it ship with Pythin 3.x? Also what will be the OpenGL guidelines for Lion?

Thanks in Advanced.
-MumbleFish
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Hansr
macrumors 6502a

I haven't come across anyone building proper software with Python 3.x everyone is still on the 2.x branch. It may start changing now since they stopped keeping 2.x in sync in terms of fixes etc.

But even so why would it matter what ships with the OS, you can just bundle the newer libraries or require that people install it before hand.

Apple generally doesn't comment on the versions that ship with the OS for minor libraries so gauging them from the dev builds is most likely your best option.

The OpenGL support will most likely not be clear until close to actual release.
Hansr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:24 AM   #3
mumblefish
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to mumblefish Send a message via Skype™ to mumblefish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansr View Post
I haven't come across anyone building proper software with Python 3.x everyone is still on the 2.x branch. It may start changing now since they stopped keeping 2.x in sync in terms of fixes etc.

But even so why would it matter what ships with the OS, you can just bundle the newer libraries or require that people install it before hand.

Apple generally doesn't comment on the versions that ship with the OS for minor libraries so gauging them from the dev builds is most likely your best option.

The OpenGL support will most likely not be clear until close to actual release.
@Hansr, there are many things in Python 3.x that aren't achievable with Python 2.x also note that having the possible users install extra 'things' is unacceptable. However this isn't your problem and thank you for your info.

I found something in google that says Lion will only support up to 3.2OpenGL, but no confirmation yet.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Hansr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblefish View Post
also note that having the possible users install extra 'things' is unacceptable.
Then you could freeze the script based implementation into a binary distribution with py2app or cx_Freeze.

Or embed the interpreter into your application if it's a C/C++/Obj-C based one: http://docs.python.org/extending/embedding.html
Hansr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblefish View Post
Hello Everyone,

First post here. I am a software developer, however I'm running into a slight problem. For my next project I will be using Python, but Mac OS X seems to ship only with 2.x. I'm wondering if anyone knows the specifications (in terms of software) for Mac OS X Lion. Will it ship with Pythin 3.x? Also what will be the OpenGL guidelines for Lion?

Thanks in Advanced.
-MumbleFish
It is highly unlikely that Apple will ship Python 3 with Mac OS X Lion.

Apple have stated that Lion will officially support OpenGL 3.2 but they may well implement some of the newer features via extensions, they just won't claim compatibility with the newer standards. That is what they did with Snow Leopard.
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Kenndac
macrumors regular

Lion Developer Preview has Python 2.7.
Kenndac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:31 PM   #7
subsonix
macrumors 68040

It makes sense from Apples perspective to include a mature and widely adopted version as the default installation. If you want anything different you have to install it on your own.

http://python3wos.appspot.com/
subsonix is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming