Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1
Moving on
macrumors newbie

out for delivery - my first Mac

Bought a refurb 13' Air ultimate on the Apple store and its out for delivery today. As I eagerly await the fedex truck I'm starting to realize I don't know where to start once I get it. As a PC user all my life I usually do the hour long updates and removal of bloatware along with fumbling through multiple antivirus. Any tips on where to start?
Moving on is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:43 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving on View Post
Bought a refurb 13' Air ultimate on the Apple store and its out for delivery today. As I eagerly await the fedex truck I'm starting to realize I don't know where to start once I get it. As a PC user all my life I usually do the hour long updates and removal of bloatware along with fumbling through multiple antivirus. Any tips on where to start?
As a Mac user, you have no bloatware to remove and you have no viruses to worry about. You can just start using your new Mac.
Helpful Information for Any Mac User
There has never been a virus in the wild that runs on Mac OS X. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:
Mac Virus/Malware Info
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:45 PM   #3
shstiger2009
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving on View Post
There will be about 6-7 updates as it probably has 10.6.5 and you'll update it to 10.6.6. A few other ones to programs, you'll have one for iTunes and Safari as they were updated yesterday, and I think there will be a Java update. I just received my new Air 3 days ago and on Coconut Battery it says it is a week old, and I had to do these updates. You won't have to remove ANY bloatware whatsoever, but there will be iLife 11 which has iWeb, iPhoto, GarageBand and iMovie. I deleted iWeb because I have no use for it.

As for Antivirus, a lot of people don't have it but go to sophos.com and download they're FREE antivirus for Mac if you want it.

Other than that, you'll love it.
shstiger2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Moving on
macrumors newbie

fantastic links....this will certainly help. Thank you!
Moving on is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air