Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moving on

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Bought a refurb 13' Air ultimate on the Apple store and its out for delivery today. As I eagerly await the fedex truck I'm starting to realize I don't know where to start once I get it. As a PC user all my life I usually do the hour long updates and removal of bloatware along with fumbling through multiple antivirus. Any tips on where to start?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Bought a refurb 13' Air ultimate on the Apple store and its out for delivery today. As I eagerly await the fedex truck I'm starting to realize I don't know where to start once I get it. As a PC user all my life I usually do the hour long updates and removal of bloatware along with fumbling through multiple antivirus. Any tips on where to start?
As a Mac user, you have no bloatware to remove and you have no viruses to worry about. You can just start using your new Mac.

There has never been a virus in the wild that runs on Mac OS X. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

shstiger2009

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011

There will be about 6-7 updates as it probably has 10.6.5 and you'll update it to 10.6.6. A few other ones to programs, you'll have one for iTunes and Safari as they were updated yesterday, and I think there will be a Java update. I just received my new Air 3 days ago and on Coconut Battery it says it is a week old, and I had to do these updates. You won't have to remove ANY bloatware whatsoever, but there will be iLife 11 which has iWeb, iPhoto, GarageBand and iMovie. I deleted iWeb because I have no use for it.

As for Antivirus, a lot of people don't have it but go to sophos.com and download they're FREE antivirus for Mac if you want it.

Other than that, you'll love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.