Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I can't wait. Not that there's anything I care that much about in 4.3 but I do like the idea of the double buzz for texts and some shortened text tones so they're actually usable.

skillz1318

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm looking forward to faster safari and native wifi hotspot!

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
@i0n1c: @comex considering that I am an ass I might keep it for myself and never release it :p

Would almost like to see someone do this would suck for the people waiting patiently but IMO serves the ungrateful group that starts to flame within hrs of an ios release... I still cant figure why apple does not just make ios more open... would think there would be quite a bit of profit in it. Maybe it would be a big turn off to the carriers though to allow a device on their network that they have no real control over or to have control over would have to monitor the type of data like crazy...

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I still cant figure why apple does not just make ios more open... would think there would be quite a bit of profit in it.

Because Apple isn't making a killing from the 30% they get off of every transaction that goes through the App Store? Not really a reason to open the iOS platform up. If you want open there is always Android.

clactonlad

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
Seems like the 4.3 JB could be held back....

i0n1c Stefan Esser
With Apple already baking 4.3.1 the first one releasing an iOS 4.3 jailbreak will pretty much burn the exploit :p

i0n1c Stefan Esser
Well Apple should release 4.3.1 very soon, because tomorrow everybody knows that @0xcharlie popped an iPhone 4 at #pwn2own through Safari.

Taken from:

http://www.twitter.com/i0n1c

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
My understanding is that Charlie performed his exploit on a device with 4.2.1 not 4.3. He said as much, and noted that with the addition of ASLR on 4.3 his hack would not work as it did - he would have to do significantly more work to bypass the new measures. (But apparently the hole itself is still there.)

Not sure Apple would jump to release a .1 for something like that. We'll see.

clactonlad

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
My understanding is that Charlie performed his exploit on a device with 4.2.1 not 4.3. He said as much, and noted that with the addition of ASLR on 4.3 his hack would not work as it did - he would have to do significantly more work to bypass the new measures. (But apparently the hole itself is still there.)

I hope your right bud! :)

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Because Apple isn't making a killing from the 30% they get off of every transaction that goes through the App Store? Not really a reason to open the iOS platform up. If you want open there is always Android.

Neh Ill just wait patiently for a stable JB and continue on with my iphone like I have been for a while now. And some profit is better than no profit. Like Microsoft giving students discounts on MS office... think they did it to benefit the student or they saw it as putting ms office in the price range of a student so they will quit pirating it? MS would rather take a small hit on profit instead of no profit. So still does not make sense why Apple would not take the little extra bit of profit instead of no profit. Maybe Apple does not want to deal with the security issues that can arise from an open platform and an ignorant user?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Around the corner usually means 2-3 months.

God, why dont you make one faster then?
You know its so easy you just whip up thousands of lines of code and make sure everything works perfect without bugs and a few minutes later its done:rolleyes:
Get a clue.

I highly doubt Apple will release a patch that fast.
Last time with jailbreakme it took them a few weeks.
By that time many people can get 4.3 shsh's and JB on that.
And not bother updating "accidentally" to 4.3.1 cause all it will do is break the JB.

chr

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
You guys realize a 4.3 jailbreak is worthless without an updated MobileSubstrate because of ASLR. None of your apps will work.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You guys realize a 4.3 jailbreak is worthless without an updated MobileSubstrate because of ASLR. None of your apps will work.

Exactly.
Its not just the JB hole and then everything will automaticly work perfect with the new iOS.
It takes tons of work by the JB scene, something many dont understand or care to comprehent.

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010

Good point forgot about that message I got a few days ago. Oh well get to wait some more :)

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I can't wait. Not that there's anything I care that much about in 4.3 but I do like the idea of the double buzz for texts and some shortened text tones so they're actually usable.
And the faster Safari!
Around the corner usually means 2-3 months.
Haha i hear ya! That means we'll get 4.3 right when iOS5 is released! I'm really hoping we get improved notifications w/ that one!

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009

You're absolutely right, even though the JB might slip out in a few there wouldn't be much point in updating as even Ultrasn0w requires MobileSubstrate, let alone all those sweet tweaks no one seem to want to let go of

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.