Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
OK, so my MBP is running a bit warm, (about 96C when browsing and watching videos) and this is not good, I don't want my MBP to last me 6 months because it burns out.

Basically, I called support, and after resetting SMC and PRAM, they said to book in to see a Genius.

What I am wondering, is, if I take it into the store on Sunday, will they re-apply the thermal paste, replace the whole machine or will they just tell me to tough it out?

I don't want to waste my time, if they will do the latter, and don't want to be without my machne if it is option 2.

I am hoping they will reapply the Compound, I just want to know if anyone has taken their hot MBP in and what happened?

Cheers guys and gals!

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I don't think it's their standard procedure to reapply the thermal paste. That's something we have discussed here in this forum as a mod to lower the temperature but it's not in their manuals as a step to "fix" this issue.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
Well, pending any other replies, I might just take it in, and basically stand my ground as not wanting a hot MBP.

Will let you know how I go.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
Well, I have a result... of sorts.

I took it to the Sydney store and got the manager of the Genius Bar to have a look.

His first response, "Yea, they are meant to run a bit hot."

I simply told him that idling at about 80C and getting to 100C after 5 minutes of video encoding is a bit too high.

He ran a hardware test, then let it idle, it slowly went from 65C to 85C while he went and tested another of the same model.

He came back, told me the bench models were idling at about 62 after 3 minutes of being on, which mine sitting at 85C-87C did seem a bit odd.

He gave me a printed out note saying to box it, take it to the store of purchase and they will swap it for a brand new one.

They would have swapped it there, but they didn't have the consent of their manager to swap out my 3rd party RAM and HDD on the spot.

So, I have to try and score a lift to the shop tonight after work, and I will swap it over.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well, I have a result... of sorts.

I took it to the Sydney store and got the manager of the Genius Bar to have a look.

His first response, "Yea, they are meant to run a bit hot."

I simply told him that idling at about 80C and getting to 100C after 5 minutes of video encoding is a bit too high.

He ran a hardware test, then let it idle, it slowly went from 65C to 85C while he went and tested another of the same model.

He came back, told me the bench models were idling at about 62 after 3 minutes of being on, which mine sitting at 85C-87C did seem a bit odd.

He gave me a printed out note saying to box it, take it to the store of purchase and they will swap it for a brand new one.

They would have swapped it there, but they didn't have the consent of their manager to swap out my 3rd party RAM and HDD on the spot.

So, I have to try and score a lift to the shop tonight after work, and I will swap it over.

Poor. The Apple store just didn't want to deal with your computer period. There's no such thing as "having no consent" to swap out RAM and HDD - that's part of their job regardless if it's 3rd party parts or not. I'm willing to bet when you take it to another Apple store and show them the write up, they'll give you the "WTF? Why didn't they just do it there" look.

As for temperatures, the new MacBook Pro's do run hotter but reapply thermal paste is something you shouldn't do. Hopefully you get one that should run properly but don't be too surprised if you have to look for an exchange or two before landing a "good one".

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
As for temperatures, the new MacBook Pro's do run hotter but reapply thermal paste is something you shouldn't do.

+1... A lot of people are randomly throwing that solution around. It's fine if you're experienced, confident that you can do it, and can afford to possibly completely blow that money. Because if you do it, and on the off chance something goes wrong during, or someday after, it will have voided your warranty, and you'll simply be out the cash you paid for the machine/have to pay for the repair it needs out of pocket.

I fear a lot of people new to Macs are reading that and considering it. Weigh that choice carefully. Once you go beyond a certain point (you're only allowed to upgrade RAM and the HDD under warranty) you're in very dangerous territory. It's really not worth the risk as much as these machines cost. Not until your warranty/AppleCare are expired, or unless you are extremely confident and/or can afford the risk financially.

mikefly

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
thermal paste

@iZero. This is good advice.

Truth be told, if the go to solution on a brand new machine is "I'll take it apart and re-glue it, then put it back together" .. there's a problem.

Apple has risen to prominence due to good design and good service. Sounds like this is slipping. (At least on this issue)

Mike

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
@iZero. This is good advice.

Truth be told, if the go to solution on a brand new machine is "I'll take it apart and re-glue it, then put it back together" .. there's a problem.

Apple has risen to prominence due to good design and good service. Sounds like this is slipping. (At least on this issue)

Mike

I wouldn't necessarily say Apple's standards are slipping. It's a new product and things are bound to happen. But with that said, problems like this are a reason why many people won't buy a rev.A/rev.1 Apple products and usually wait for the refresh before making a purchase.

eaf7s

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
I wouldn't necessarily say Apple's standards are slipping. It's a new product and things are bound to happen. But with that said, problems like this are a reason why many people won't buy a rev.A/rev.1 Apple products and usually wait for the refresh before making a purchase.

New product, but globs of thermal paste have been a known issue for yonks...

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
They do run pretty toasty but it'll live. But reapplying thermal paste is like fine tuning your machine, just like pretty an Optibay in. There is a lot of room for mistakes if you don't know what you're doing but if you do know and have experience with computers, the improvements does seem to be pretty big.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
Well, I have got my new MBP, gotten home, put my HDD and RAM in it.

Comparison temperatures;

Old - Idle - 78-85C - Load - 96-102C
New - Idle - 40-45C - Load - Not tested yet.

Almost half the temp, gotta say, loving this!

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
should I reset PRAM and SMC on my macbook pro when I first get it or only if I see/hear problems like fan noise, etc.

also, is there a play where I can go on the macbook pro where it gives stats like which hard drive in installed(does it say ssd anywhere), memory (how much is installed), etc.....

Mik3F

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
should I reset PRAM and SMC on my macbook pro when I first get it or only if I see/hear problems like fan noise, etc.

also, is there a play where I can go on the macbook pro where it gives stats like which hard drive in installed(does it say ssd anywhere), memory (how much is installed), etc.....

No need to reset PRAM or SMC

Press the :apple: and then choose About this Mac

mikefly

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007

I'm a little sad no one made a connection between apple slipping and too much glue.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
"Meant to run hot"? Gave you a note for the other store? Sounds like this guy is not jelling with Apple culture. Call Apple and tell them. Sheeeesh!

tmt

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Hi everybody,
I've just ordered my first mac, 13" mbp. I've been reading a lot about it before ordering. I'm stoked to say the least, bit I am wondering about this issue. Is there an app that you use measuring the temps inside the machine or how do you do it?
Thanks in advance

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
Hi everybody,
I've just ordered my first mac, 13" mbp. I've been reading a lot about it before ordering. I'm stoked to say the least, bit I am wondering about this issue. Is there an app that you use measuring the temps inside the machine or how do you do it?
Thanks in advance

You can use iStat Pro :) And... I know some people might scare you with the things that they say... But keep in mind that no matter how many negative posts you see, there is an untold number of silent customers, who are silent because they are not having an issue to seek help about :) Just open up that machine when it comes, use it how you'll normally use it, and enjoy :) and if it is one of the very few that have troubles, Apple will take care of you. That sounds really silly, but one thing no one can say about Apple, is that they say "aww, too bad for you..." and leave it be. They are even documented in these threads, to have taken back machines that didn't even have problems, aside from the user's paranoia. They bend over backwards to help :)

Just... watch the thermal paste ideas. Keep in mind if you do that, your warranty is toast, and if you have a problem later, you're out 1,000+ dollars (however much you paid)...

jakku

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
You can use iStat Pro :) And... I know some people might scare you with the things that they say... But keep in mind that no matter how many negative posts you see, there is an untold number of silent customers, who are silent because they are not having an issue to seek help about :) Just open up that machine when it comes, use it how you'll normally use it, and enjoy :) and if it is one of the very few that have troubles, Apple will take care of you. That sounds really silly, but one thing no one can say about Apple, is that they say "aww, too bad for you..." and leave it be. They are even documented in these threads, to have taken back machines that didn't even have problems, aside from the user's paranoia. They bend over backwards to help :)

Just... watch the thermal paste ideas. Keep in mind if you do that, your warranty is toast, and if you have a problem later, you're out 1,000+ dollars (however much you paid)...

Many people "silent customers" are casual users, who use it for safari, mail and other less cpu power sh... and dont have any issues. Many of them don't use cpu temperature monitoring programs. I returned my MBP 13" yesturday and I'm happy :) Because for 100% cpu use it's too hot ~93-95 c.

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
Many people "silent customers" are casual users, who use it for safari, mail and other less cpu power sh... and dont have any issues. Many of them don't use cpu temperature monitoring programs. I returned my MBP 13" yesturday and I'm happy :) Because for 100% cpu use it's too hot ~93-95 c.

Incorrect in a sense though certainly true to a degree. Many people (possibly most) that spend thousands on a professional level laptop, use it as such. I'd wager very few people throw out thousands for a machine to simply browse and email, and if they do, they really did quite a silly number on themselves :) I use mine for work almost every day, and I work it very hard. It never has issues. Many people simply don't have trouble, while some simply do. And no, 93-95c for 100% processor usage, is not unheard of for many especially on the 13 inch, but of course if it's uncomfortable for you, by all means the right thing to do was take it back :) As should anyone that experiences trouble.

Last edited:

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
I will say, if yours does overheat, let Apple know immediately.

You probably won't have a problem at all, mine is now getting to 70C when playing WoW, so I am pretty happy with that.

Will try encoding a video now to see what it maxes out at.

EDIT - It got to 92C and sat there.

Fan maxed out and brought it back down to about 42 in a matter of seconds.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.