Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:28 AM   #1
Mr.NYC
macrumors newbie

Location: Born And Raised NYC, move to California few years ago, now over seas working
macbook pro closing applications

is there a more efficient way to close out an app without having to also go down to the dock look which one has the little glow dot letting you know its still running and hit quit there as well, i am new to mac but i love everything about it, i just like to make my laptop cater to my liking.

i would like to just hit the red X on the top left of the page and CLOSED

i know its to allow you to get into your most currently most used applications quicker but just wanted to know
Mr.NYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:37 AM   #2
illi4ever
macrumors newbie

The red X doesn't close the application (program) itself, only the instance you where using. This makes it faster to open another instance since you don't have to load the program anymore.

If you want to close something permanently: go to File -> quit
or hit command + q
illi4ever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:42 AM   #3
Mr.NYC
macrumors newbie

Location: Born And Raised NYC, move to California few years ago, now over seas working
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by illi4ever View Post
The red X doesn't close the application (program) itself, only the instance you where using. This makes it faster to open another instance since you don't have to load the program anymore.

If you want to close something permanently: go to File -> quit
or hit command + q
thank you for the prompt response
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:59 AM   #4
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Applications which by their nature have only a single window do close when you click on the red dot.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:14 AM   #5
eaf7s
macrumors regular

The easiest thing to do is command + q. Even easier than moving the cursor up to the x . And a four finger swipe to the right or left will quickly show you what you've actually got open, and allow you to switch between the applications.
eaf7s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:24 AM   #6
rareflares
macrumors regular

It's always been a habit of mine to fully quit applications after I'm done using them but if you have the RAM, it's probably faster for you to just leave them open.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:24 AM   #7
Blu101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
Applications which by their nature have only a single window do close when you click on the red dot.
Yup, like the calculator.

For others that don't close with the window, I find command + Q to be the easiest way. Feels weird at first, especially coming from pc, but once your fingers get used to the key combo, takes a split sec and you don't even think about it, becomes 2nd nature.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 01:13 PM   #8
Mr.NYC
macrumors newbie

thanks apple heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu101 View Post
Yup, like the calculator.

For others that don't close with the window, I find command + Q to be the easiest way. Feels weird at first, especially coming from pc, but once your fingers get used to the key combo, takes a split sec and you don't even think about it, becomes 2nd nature.
thanks i am now getting use to the command Q and using the 4 finger wipe to show me running apps.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro