Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
sometimes they do but more often than not a thread is edited and closes so it looks like everything was just dandy when someone was to blame, same with editing people's posts there should be a documented reason for editing and which mod edited it.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I think the only way we could do this is to edit the post(s) and delete the content, leaving in place a note as to why it was deleted. But this makes a lot more work. Plus it leaves that post there which will still contribute toward the offending users post count, that's a side note, but that too may nark some people - the fact that people posting crap still get to an avatar before they do.

If someone is frequently making a nuisance of themselves it gets noted, and will be delt with.

There's user notes on you all!!!!! Muwahahaha! :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
edesignuk said:
If someone is frequently making a nuisance of themselves it gets noted, and will be delt with.

There's user notes on you all!!!!! Muwahahaha! :)
Well we have methods of dealing with newbies ourselves...

attachment.php

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Sun Baked said:
Well we have methods of dealing with newbies ourselves...

attachment.php
The report button is the most appreciated. But I know all to well the temptation to beat the virtual-crap out of these people. Once you're done with that though, just don't forget to hit that report button ;)

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
Mechcozmo said:
Uh-Oh. Mods, wanna re-think edesignuk's promotion?
No, they shouldn't rethink it. I can appreciate what edesign is saying. I am the owner of my own forum with membership in the thousands and moderating the forum is busy enough at it is without needing to post an explanation for everything I do (to moderate the forum).

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If anyone's post gets deleted or changed and they would like to know who did it and why -- then maybe asking the mods by PM might be a better process than a mod-log on each amended post/thread.

If someone feels they've been unfairly treated, they should ask about what happened -- not expect an immediate public account.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
at leat a note on closed threads, edesigns 1 year on thread got closed for god knows what reason and in the canon 350D XT thread some of moxie's posts look like they have been moderated, it just looks a little odd

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
We do house cleaning when we see the need. Giving an explanation isn't always the easiest or best way to handle the job. We stick to the rules fairly well and if there is an issue its taken care of. So if you notice things are *different* with a post (due to mod editiing) or that something gets closed and you don't understand why, we're sorry. Chances are the rules were abused and we do so much clean up, we can't give excuses every time.

If you're really concerned about a specific thread, just pm a mod and he should be able to give you an answer.

D

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Mechcozmo said:
Uh-Oh. Mods, wanna re-think edesignuk's promotion?

1 Well, I was the first one on showing and communicating my disagreement about his promotion. Edesignuk is under the microscope I have been told and the reason of his promotion was the amount of time he spend in the site (that just show up his lack of real social contact). After a few IM between some real mods and I we (and I reamrk "we") decided to give him the benefit of the doubt "probably his new obligation can make him grow up" I was told as well...

2. This thread expressed the same thoughts I wrote a week ago when I asked for some sort of way or explanation about deleting posts. My conclusion was to set up and remind the rules more often. I wouldn't be concerned if trusted in criteria of all the mods.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
mymemory said:
1 Well, I was the first one on showing and communicating my disagreement about his promotion. Edesignuk is under the microscope I have been told and the reason of his promotion was the amount of time he spend in the site (that just show up his lack of real social contact). After a few IM between some real mods and I we decided to give him the benefit of the doubt "probably his new obligation can make him grow up" I was told as well...
Don't push it. If I do or don't keep in the position I am now in it will have nothing to do with you. Don't flatter yourself.
On the other hand if I was a moderator I would notify to the people why they have been deleted. If you think that takes too much time (or you are too lazy) well... I think (as many people think too) you are not ready yet for your "semi mod" title.
You, like I before I became this "mod mini", have no idea how much gets deleted and moved around here to keep things in order. There is no way we could possibly notify everyone of everything we do.
edesignuk, I'm 29 years old, I am a multimedia professional and I worked in an intelligence organization creating forecast of political and social conducts as well. In other words, I have a very good intuition and experience and I know when things start and where they are going to end and you are too immature and arrogant for the position you asked for. If you do not change I'll see you as a regular in less than a moth is my prediction.
"Immature and arrogant", "I'll see you as a regular in less than a moth is my prediction.". *must control myself* :mad:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Wow, now this thread is finally getting as interesting as some of the threads that get people banned.
attachment.php

As a side note: Didn't realize that mymemory was such a respected member, and had such a hand in getting edesignuk promoted.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Sun Baked said:
As a side note: Didn't realize that mymemory was such a respected member, and had such a hand in getting edesignuk promoted.
Apparently, one never knows where the true power happens to be.
:rolleyes:

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Mymemmory

Does mymemmory ever contribute anything positive to a thread? I certainly can't recall any. He whines a lot. Pretty negative dude, in my opinion.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Mr. Anderson said:
We do house cleaning when we see the need. Giving an explanation isn't always the easiest or best way to handle the job. We stick to the rules fairly well and if there is an issue its taken care of. So if you notice things are *different* with a post (due to mod editiing) or that something gets closed and you don't understand why, we're sorry. Chances are the rules were abused and we do so much clean up, we can't give excuses every time.

If you're really concerned about a specific thread, just pm a mod and he should be able to give you an answer.

D

maybe you need some more mod's then, this site has far fewer than any other forum i have posted on, just hire the top most active posters (unless they are obviously irresponsible, if i moderated i'd put a note under the post at least saying that it was moderated (don't mean to sound like the kid at the front of the class yelping pick me pick me) i appreciate the job you guys do and i don't think i have ever disagreed with a mod's decision i just think there should be a record so it dose not look like a whole bunch of people were over reacting to a flamer who's posts have been edited, it gives the good guys a bad name and makes the moderated look like they have been bullied, i dont mean every poster get's an essay saying why they were edited, spamers and one post wonders dont require this treatment, but i think regulars and above do.

do the mod's each have there own forum to keep an eye on or are they all forum wide super mods? as i think it would work better if each section had a relevant mod

I don't mean to sound like a little dictator telling you guys how to do your job but this is just how i would run it, i really do appreciate the stuff you guys do.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i have had posts pulled before and i asked mods what i did wrong (they normaly tell you if they are not too busy ) and i get a straight forward answer to what i had done, simple really just don't do it again :rolleyes:

i think the Mods and Mini Mods here do a great job with the forums ! and winding some of them up can only be a bad thing ;) or a good thing if you want to get banned :D

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hector said:
if i moderated i'd put a note under the post at least saying that it was moderated

You can already tell when a post has been moderated - it says 'last edited by Nermal' or whatever underneath it.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Hector said:
at leat a note on closed threads, edesigns 1 year on thread got closed for god knows what reason and in the canon 350D XT thread some of moxie's posts look like they have been moderated, it just looks a little odd

And at the same point the recent smoking thread was moved to the PF.

Given rise to the new "mods", it might be nice to have a simple posting as to who moved a thread to a particular place. The recent smoking thread I thought was very civil. though edesign chimed in about the thread being watched. And soon after it was moved to PF. The Rebel XT thread was much more heated, and one sided in some respects, but remains.

Civil discourse prohibited, but blatant one-sided talk is allowed?

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Nermal said:
You can already tell when a post has been moderated - it says 'last edited by Nermal' or whatever underneath it.

i could have sworn i have seen posts that have been moderated without the lasted edited bit in them.

is that even possible to moderate with no visible marks?

Chip NoVaMac said:
And at the same point the recent smoking thread was moved to the PF.

Given rise to the new "mods", it might be nice to have a simple posting as to who moved a thread to a particular place. The recent smoking thread I thought was very civil. though edesign chimed in about the thread being watched. And soon after it was moved to PF. The Rebel XT thread was much more heated, and one sided in some respects, but remains.

Civil discourse prohibited, but blatant one-sided talk is allowed?

i dont think either side is one sided jared is not saying nikon sucks and moxie is not saying canon sucks, they just disagree with one another because moxie tends to crap on other people's threads turning it into his own look at me i'm a photographer thread, while moxie just insults jared (which his posts should be moderated because of the personal insult IMHO) and uses an excuse of jared haveing opinions that he dose not agree with.

i know i'm rather one sided on the thread as i happen to be friends with jared, but i fail to see it any other way, please explain in more detail what you mean (it's a bit OT so maybe some other place is better to continue this)

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
daveL said:
Does mymemmory ever contribute anything positive to a thread? I certainly can't recall any. He whines a lot. Pretty negative dude, in my opinion.
You know, I'm not on these forums very much, and the fact that I notice this means something. Every post I see by him annoys me. However, what annoys me more about these forums is the number of thoughtless, one-line responses by people that contribute to absolutely nothing but their post count. Why is it necessary for people to post comments like "wow, this is great, I'm gonna have to buy one of these when they come out." No one cares, and it makes it really hard to read through an entire thread before making a post or finding comments that are actually insightful. At least mymemory has something to say. Why can't mods delete all of these posts?

And as far I can tell edesignuk is doing a fine job. Whoever said that people in a position of power can't have a sense of humor about it?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Chip NoVaMac said:
though edesign chimed in about the thread being watched.
"chimed in"? People were asking for the thread to be wastelanded, rather than doing that I thought we'd give it a chance, so I simply said that we'll keep an eye on it, and see where it goes. More than fair.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Hector said:
i could have sworn i have seen posts that have been moderated without the lasted edited bit in them.

is that even possible to moderate with no visible marks?

i dont think either side is one sided jared is not saying nikon sucks and moxie is not saying canon sucks, they just disagree with one another because moxie tends to crap on other people's threads turning it into his own look at me i'm a photographer thread, while moxie just insults jared (which his posts should be moderated because of the personal insult IMHO) and uses an excuse of jared haveing opinions that he dose not agree with.

i know i'm rather one sided on the thread as i happen to be friends with jared, but i fail to see it any other way, please explain in more detail what you mean (it's a bit OT so maybe some other place is better to continue this)

I looked at the thread on the Rebel XT and, while it's a heated thread that sometimes steps over the bounds of good taste, I don't believe that moxiemike is insulting anyone. If anything, it seems more a "I know more...just listen to me." kind of a thing, which isn't necessarily nice either but we have that all the time from various members. I've probably even done it once or twice.

In any case, I will continue to watch the thread to see where it goes. If you people would just buy Olympus cameras, there would be no argument. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.