Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefangirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Massachusetts
I bought a used macbook off ebay. It's from mid 2007. I am just wondering...how long can I expect this macbook to last? A few years?:confused:

Thanks.

anotherarunan

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
London, United Kingdom (UK)
If its looked after well - theoretically as long as you need it to last. Although it depends on your uses now, and in the future, maybe in 4/5 years time, there'll be some super-cool must have laptop technology that will render your macbook past it - but it'll carry on doing the basics for a long long time!

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I have an iMac G4 from 2002, so that's a testament on how well Apple machines hold up over time. It's a little slow but still chugs along running pretty damn well for a 9 year old machine. As for your MacBook, I just bought the same model MacBook off eBay and they are great machines. Mine is just under 4 years old since built and it's pretty solid. It was previously owned by a school and it has some dings and some marks, but for $400 I sure can't complain. Just enjoy your MacBook and take care of it and it should last you for many years to come.

eddie7139

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Have owned Macbook 13" from new - Dec 2006. Took out 3 yr warranty. Have had logic board replaced twice under warranty (normally $900 Australian). Paid $350 for new hard drive and battery 6 months ago. Logic board just died again and repairer wants $900. Our Macbook hasn't been dropped or damaged at any time. In my experience, beware!!!!!

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I bought a used macbook off ebay. It's from mid 2007. I am just wondering...how long can I expect this macbook to last? A few years?:confused:

Thanks.

That's a great question.

It's hard to say due to the fact you bought it used & may not know it's true history. I've had lots of Mac laptops & until the last few years, they were long lasting.

Recently Apples pushing so hard to dominate, it's reflecting in both quality & longevity. I've had 2008 & newer show declining quality and bugs or issues one had not seen in macs of the past. Unfortunately my 2009's & newer (I buy mine new) have been fraught with problems.

I don't see anything to indicate this trend will not continue, and frankly that's very discouraging to someone who likes them as much as I do. It's also important to note I am very careful with mine & know how to maintain them.

In the last year or so Apple is so obsessed with it's mobile OS, the computers seem to be a secondary consideration.

I guess time will tell.

applefangirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Massachusetts
Well, I just thought I'd give an update, in case anyone cared (or was in a similar situation).

I've had my macbook a week now and it's working great, almost like a new macbook. The fan does get a bit loud when running flash applications, but the noise doesn't bother me too much.

I'm planning on upgrading the memory, so I'm excited about that.

Thanks for all the advice. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.