Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPad 2 has only been out for about an hour, but the folks at iFixit already have a 16 GB Wi-Fi model in hand and are tearing it down to see just what's inside the revamped version of Apple's popular tablet device.

While iFixit has only just gotten the new iPad open and has yet to get into the details of what's inside, we'll be watching to see what they find and updating this post accordingly.

- The iPad 2 seems to use essentially the same Broadcom touch controllers and Wi-Fi chip found in the first-generation iPad and other recent iOS devices.

- The A5 system-on-a-chip carries manufacture dates of January/February 2011, but iFixit has yet to offer a deciphering of other codes found on the packaging. In particular, it has yet to be determined whether the package is being manufactured by Samsung or TSMC.The A5 processor has manufacture dates of late January and mid-February 2011. Production was clearly ramping up through the last minute. It looks like the A5 processor is the APL0498, replacing the A4/APL0398 seen in the iPad 1 and iPhones.-The three-cell 25 watt-hour battery offers only slightly more power than the 24.8 watt-hour battery found in the original iPad, and comes in a much flatter form factor to help Apple achieve the significantly thinner design for the tablet.

- Despite the redesigned speaker grille, the actual speakers remain very small, and appear to almost be an "afterthought".

- Overall, iFixit finds the iPad 2 to be very densely packed on the insider, but very "neat and tidy". There is very little empty space inside the body, unlike the original iPad. Apple has also chosen to use significant amounts of glue to hold parts together as opposed to screws.

Article Link: iPad 2 Teardown: A5, 'Neat and Tidy' Interior, Massive But Thin Battery

iMattcotv

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
YESS

Been waiting FOREVER FOR THIS!!

Tell is the good news!!

512MB???

PPPLLLEEAAAASSEEE BBBEEE 512!!!

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Does anyone really care... except for those people who want to say, "Look, the iPad 2 only 512MB RAM compared to mega-awseom Xoom that 513?!"

(yes, I know 513 is not a real number.)

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
It looks like the digitizer is held on only by double stick tape? I wonder how hard it was to pry open. I had to pry my iPad 1 open after an unfortunate incident with a full glass of juice and it was a bi*ch to open! There are 14 thin and very fragile metal retainer clips holding the display assembly onto the aluminum body and I broke 10 of them getting it open.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
Does anyone really care... except for those people who want to say, "Look, the iPad 2 only 512MB RAM compared to mega-awseom Xoom that 513?!"

Just checked with my high school math teacher... she said 513 is indeed a real number!!!!!

It may mean nothing in terms of RAM but it's still a real number :D

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
I just checked out the teardown and confirmed that the glass is in fact glued on. Not sure which would be more of a pain to open, the iPad 1 with it's 14 retainer clips or the iPad 2 with it's copious glue.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008

The Xoom needs the extra 512mb to hold all the error messages.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
That's crazy engineering folks. And like ifixit likes, it's hard as hell to repair. Anyway it's simply amazing how they fit everything in it.

Sure as hell ifixit has a lot of fun tearing down such things :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.