Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
I've got to admit, I'd a tad pissed Apple chose a staggered roll-out. It would seem that most of the in-store stock, especially the GSM 3G models, were gobbled up within minutes so that they could be put on the first plane out of the country.

Anyone else pissed?

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
YEP.

Hoping for Saturday 2nd shipment. told by a couple Apple employees that "in these situations Saturday shipments are common" but of course also "we don't know for sure and if we get one we wouldn't know what quantities or what was in it until we opened it."

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
I've got to admit, I'd a tad pissed Apple chose a staggered roll-out. It would seem that most of the in-store stock, especially the GSM 3G models, were gobbled up within minutes so that they could be put on the first plane out of the country.

Anyone else pissed?

nope

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA

Anyone else pissed?

you have no idea what I went through today. Resellers with notebooks and $80k in cash and $8k in apple giftcards pushing people into line cutting other people I was surrounded by people with the giftcards in elastics from the resellers. the resellers would hang around the apple employees giving out tickets and when an apple employee would say were now out of 64gb att 3g. they resellers would instruct all the people they had buying for them to go 32g now until eventually every 3g model was gone.

When I showed up I was number 30 in line but somehow by the time 5pm rolled around I was like 100 in line cause the way the mall is set up I was around a bend and I couldnt see the front of the line and apparently those people werent policing themselves. resellers stacking hundreds of ipads in the food court well people in line that really wanted one are getting turned away. Through out the day I heard them bragging that the ipads would be out of the country by monday and that they bought new cars on the iPhone launch.

Apple employees did nothing. the resellers were even joking with the employees it was absolutely absurd. Now I know why apple decided to not take cash or their own giftcards last year. The computers crashed when I bought mine and even though I ended up having to pay cash there is still a hold on my debit card and even though im disgusted by the whole situation I still really hope apple gos back to banning cash and giftcards. Cause today was ridiculous.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Yeah. I saw people walking out with 10+ iPads. All 3G AT&T models. You know it's a problem when they are outselling the other models 10:1.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Wrong, Apple are ruining it for everyone. To be honest, I would buy to resell too if I had the power and will to wait in front of an Apple Store.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Well, if Apple had released it everywhere at once I doubt we'd see the level of people gobbling up that we are. I'm seeing postings on Craigslist for 10+ iPads per seller. It's just insane.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Well, if Apple had released it everywhere at once I doubt we'd see the level of people gobbling up that we are. I'm seeing postings on Craigslist for 10+ iPads per seller. It's just insane.

Apple is smart. The customers are the ones who are insane.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Not surprised, I'm seeing $1,200 on BST forums.

They "worked" hard for it by lining up/crossing the boarder. LOL

I'm surprised that I haven't read about these people getting robbed/ending ugly, turning the table for profiting off it.

Schroedinger

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2004
Baltimore, MD
I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but I think this is a reality that should be expected now. The first lines for Apple products were spontaneous and therefore filled with people who were there for the love of the product. As with all things, people learn how to take advantage of the system for monetary gain.

I appreciate that you wanted to be part of "the event," but in the future you may be happier ordering online and doing something different with your day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.