Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Touch Arcade has been putting the new iPad 2 through the paces, testing out what few iPad 2 specific games that have been released so far. On Infinity Blade, they post an extensive comparison gallery between the original iPad and iPad 2. Some things to look for in these screen shots include how smooth the edges are on the iPad 2, as well as how high resolution the textures are in comparison. We have this kind of image quality, while everything runs at a much higher frame rate.We've pulled just two of the screenshots for comparison here. Click on each image to get a larger version.

iPad 1 (Click for Larger)​

iPad 2 (Click for Larger)​

A full gallery is available on TouchArcade. Even with the improvement in textures, Infinity Blade for the iPad 2 runs at a higher frame rate than the original iPad. The new iPad has a dual-core A5 processor as well as an enhanced graphics chip that Apple claims to have "9x faster graphics".

Several other games have also been updated to support the iPad 2 including Real Racing 2 HD, Dead Space, and Asphalt 6 and TouchArcade provides a quick look at those titles as well.

Article Link: Impressions and Screenshots of 'Infinity Blade' on iPad 2

Last edited by a moderator:

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
That's incredibly impressive for such a quick release; I really can't wait for developers to better understand the architecture of the A5 chip and its GPU to use it to its potential. We'll essentially be seeing mid to upper 2007/8 pc game graphics on the iPad (@ 1024x768 of course, but still; that's impressive). One game that I think would be absolutely amazing on the iPad is World in Conflict and an improved Red Alert. This really will be an amazing year for iPad development.

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Oh c'mon! I don't know if the graphics are any different, but to post a single screenshot comparison is preposterousness. The two screens are as close as possible to what the two are displaying, but they're likely not identical and single shot comparisons are impossible.

urbanj

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's alright. Nothing major :)

The 25th can't come soon enough for me.

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
Not the same version of the game.

It would be a better comparison if both iPads had the same version of Infinity Blade on them. The iPad 1 is running the previous version and iPad 2 is running the version that came out on March 11, 2011.

If you click the link to see all the pictures, at least one of the comparison pictures is different. Plus the developer said they just upgraded the graphics to include high resolution that looks good on Retina displays.

This is not a good comparison.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Warning: Some of the posts above this message may cause uncontrollable laughter.

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It would be a better comparison if both iPads had the same version of Infinity Blade on them. The iPad 1 is running the previous version and iPad 2 is running the version that came out on March 11, 2011.

If you click the link to see all the pictures, at least one of the comparison pictures is different. Plus the developer said they just upgraded the graphics to include high resolution that looks good on Retina displays.

This is not a good comparison.

The screenshots were taken from the latest (same) version of the game for both iPad 1 and iPad 2.

arn

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Oh c'mon! I don't know if the graphics are any different, but to post a single screenshot comparison is preposterousness. The two screens are as close as possible to what the two are displaying, but they're likely not identical and single shot comparisons are impossible.

Is this a serious post? The screenshots were taken after the first fight, where the camera auto-centers itself and you're locked on that one particular view and location. The only difference is how long each game was running before I took the screenshots which is why the clouds have moved more in one screenshot than the other. That's as close to identical as you're going to get on two difference devices running separate instances of the game.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
How do you know?

I took the screenshots. Attached is a screenshot of the App Store updates screen on my 1st generation iPad.

Attachments

• IMG_0284.PNG
    IMG_0284.PNG
    142.3 KB · Views: 329

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
Because I asked the guy who wrote the TouchArcade article (Hodapp), and he confirmed they were from the same updated version.

arn

Good, thanks for letting me know. Then I'll have to agree that the screen resolution has a big improvement over the iPad 1.

So, they improved the resolution, but it's not as good as the iPhone's Retina display?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I wonder how long it is before we see

'Only for iPad 2' on apps

Good, thanks for letting me know. Then I'll have to agree that the screen resolution has a big improvement over the iPad 1.

So, they improved the resolution, but it's not as good as the iPhone's Retina display?

The iPad resolution is higher than iPhone 4 retima resolution.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.