Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Or is it just wishful thinking? :D

I think wishful thinking. Doesn't retina have something to do w/ pixel density as well as resolution? I don't think the iPad display, which is the same as the original display, can yet support the display quality of retina apps.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Lord no. Spend two seconds with the iPhone Facebook app vs. Friendly for iPad.

I will say I'm spoiled with the retina display. The iPad display is very nice, but damn the text on the keyboard looks pixellated by comparison.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I do find this a little odd.
Taking into account that the iPad display (1024x768) is larger than the iPhone 4's Retina Display (960x640) it should be able to run these apps at full resolution, rather than pixel-halving them down to 480x320 and then pixel-doubling it back up again, making it looks much worse.
I guess this may be Apple's way of encouraging developers to make apps specifically for iPad rather than relying on customers to simply upsize the existing iPhone apps.

Last edited:

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I think wishful thinking. Doesn't retina have something to do w/ pixel density as well as resolution? I don't think the iPad display, which is the same as the original display, can yet support the display quality of retina apps.
The iPad has a higher resolution than the iPhone 4. A simple jailbreak hack, can show the majority of Retina Display apps in their optimum resolution on the iPad.
Pixel density doesn't come into it. ;)

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
The iPad has a higher resolution than the iPhone 4. A simple jailbreak hack, can show the majority of Retina Display apps in their optimum resolution on the iPad.
Pixel density doesn't come into it. ;)

I get it now. You're talking about showing retina apps at full res, but not running full screen on an iPad. Right?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
How that works? Please be more specific about the jailbreak app? What app is that one? Can the iOS 4.3 be jailbroken as of today?

GnillGnoll

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
I do find this a little odd.
Taking into account that the iPad display (1024x768) is larger than the iPhone 4's Retina Display (960x640) it should be able to run these apps at full resolution, rather than pixel-halving them down to 480x320 and then pixel-doubling it back up again, making it looks much worse.
I guess this may be Apple's way of encouraging developers to make apps specifically for iPad rather than relying on customers to simply upsize the existing iPhone apps.
I think the issue is that, by default, iPhone apps don't run with 2x zoom. I.e. they only take up 480x320 pixels in the middle of the screen to at least approximately preserve the physical size of buttons, etc.

2x zoom is an option, but you only activate it after starting the app, and once an app is running it won't expect the resolution to change.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
How that works? Please be more specific about the jailbreak app? What app is that one? Can the iOS 4.3 be jailbroken as of today?
It's an app called RetinaPad. It's $2.99 on Cydia.
iOS 4.3 can be jailbroken but it's currently only a tethered JB (requires iDevice to be connected to a computer to reboot).

facebooka.jpg

Last edited:

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
I think the issue is that, by default, iPhone apps don't run with 2x zoom. I.e. they only take up 480x320 pixels in the middle of the screen to at least approximately preserve the physical size of buttons, etc.

2x zoom is an option, but you only activate it after starting the app, and once an app is running it won't expect the resolution to change.

That is a problem but it is solvable; you could move the option out of the UI and into the Settings App or you could automatically restart the App when the user changed the setting. Alternatively the App could stay at 2x resolution and be downscaled when 1x is chosen. I think the real reason is that it is better for the iPad platform to have low quality iPhone compatiblity because it encourages developers to write iPad native Apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.