Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orlandocano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
I rarely start threads but ti think this will be useful information for anyone considering a smart cover. If you are like me, you HATE scratches and blemishes on your electronics!! I sold my iPad 1 last week which I had since launch day and it looked as new as the day I got it. I got my ipad 2 yesterday and the light grey smart cover. Well it turns out, the smart cover is creating two small scratches where the hinges meet the iPads aluminum body... i nearly fell out of my seat the first time i took the smart cover off and saw them!!!!!

the good news is.. the scratches come right off... i took a damp rag and rubbed on the spot where the scratches formed... and they came right off and the ipad looks brand new again... its very strange... because the blemishes do not look like dirt... they look JUST LIKE SCRATCHES... but they come off... It seems like there is a part of the smart cover metal hinge that is rubbing the back of the ipad.. and the paint from the back of the hinge is coming off and sticking to the back of the ipad... the "scratches" on the ipad come right off.. but the blemishes on the smart cover hinge are permanent.. from where the silver colored paint is rubbing off..

in the mean time i started this thread so you dont FREAK OUT like i did.. wipe off the blemishes and go on your merry way... they arent permanent scratches on your ipad!!

including pictures so you can see what im talking about... sorry for such a long post but i know there have to be a few of you out there who are as careful with your electronics as i am!

note: this only happens when you flip the cover all the way to the back..which is the way I guess most people will be using the covers.

Attachments

• DSC00222.JPG
    DSC00222.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 470
  • DSC00223.JPG
    DSC00223.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC00230.JPG
    DSC00230.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 458
  • DSC00231.JPG
    DSC00231.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 441

orlandocano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Ha ha, ya had me going there for a second :eek:

haha! sorry about that.. but the blemishes look so much like deep scratches that i just needed to start this thread.. they get bigger the longer you have the smart cover on there.. the pictures i took were after about a half hour of usage since the last time i wiped the "scratches" off..

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Damn... I hope they do come off as easy as that.. Got two pads and two covers.. I hope I don't have a problem with scratches.. :eek:

James

dadoftwogirls

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Florida
I rarely start threads but ti think this will be useful information for anyone considering a smart cover. If you are like me, you HATE scratches and blemishes on your electronics!! I sold my iPad 1 last week which I had since launch day and it looked as new as the day I got it. I got my ipad 2 yesterday and the light grey smart cover. Well it turns out, the smart cover is creating two small scratches where the hinges meet the iPads aluminum body... i nearly fell out of my seat the first time i took the smart cover off and saw them!!!!!

the good news is.. the scratches come right off... i took a damp rag and rubbed on the spot where the scratches formed... and they came right off and the ipad looks brand new again... its very strange... because the blemishes do not look like dirt... they look JUST LIKE SCRATCHES... but they come off... It seems like there is a part of the smart cover metal hinge that is rubbing the back of the ipad.. and the paint from the back of the hinge is coming off and sticking to the back of the ipad... the "scratches" on the ipad come right off.. but the blemishes on the smart cover hinge are permanent.. from where the silver colored paint is rubbing off..

in the mean time i started this thread so you dont FREAK OUT like i did.. wipe off the blemishes and go on your merry way... they arent permanent scratches on your ipad!!

including pictures so you can see what im talking about... sorry for such a long post but i know there have to be a few of you out there who are as careful with your electronics as i am!

note: this only happens when you flip the cover all the way to the back..which is the way I guess most people will be using the covers.

Do you have any after you wiped it off pictures? In picture 3 and 4 I see what appear to be the scratches you are talking about but nothing to show them gone. I haven't opened my cover and want to be darn sure (like you) that it doesn't do anything to the iPad.

Thanks for the post.

orlandocano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Do you have any after you wiped it off pictures? In picture 3 and 4 I see what appear to be the scratches you are talking about but nothing to show them gone. I haven't opened my cover and want to be darn sure (like you) that it doesn't do anything to the iPad.

Thanks for the post.

No worries! The marks wipe off completely. Dont be worried if they look much worse than my earlier pics either.. like I said.. they get much darker and longer than what my pics show... but even the bad looking marks come off by simply wiping them off with a damp cloth or even with your finger...

Attachments

• DSC00232.JPG
    DSC00232.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC00235.JPG
    DSC00235.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 256

dadoftwogirls

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Florida
No worries! The marks wipe off completely. Dont be worried if they look much worse than my earlier pics either.. like I said.. they get much darker and longer than what my pics show... but even the bad looking marks come off by simply wiping them off with a damp cloth or even with your finger...

Excellent!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Remember this is 24 hours since launch.

Let's wait till a few months and a few hundred or thousand smart cover on and off's and sliding around.

I'm glad they put some plastic in-between the join, but I still won't buy one as I think it's a stupid way to connect it.

It seems more a fancy "hey look what we've done" design, as opposed to a practical day to day use design.

I wish they had made a new version of the original Apple case in Black and White.
Almost seems like they deliberately make them this way so others would see it was an iPad and not some other "copycat" in their words tablet.

You never know. Making sure everyone else knew it was an iPad may have been top of their design brief when coming up with the cover design.

foxino

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Scratches on iPad2 display

hallo all, i have little bit different problem, look at my pics. i used black smart cover - leather, and in my package how it moves, scratch my display.. be carefull i have my ipad2 only 10 days and this is fatal failure :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_1024 copy.jpg
    IMG_1024 copy.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 338

gigemzach

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
hallo all, i have little bit different problem, look at my pics. i used black smart cover - leather, and in my package how it moves, scratch my display.. be carefull i have my ipad2 only 10 days and this is fatal failure :mad:

It's probably dust in between the smart cover and the display.

emilonrails

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
4 days after purchasing my iPad..I too noticed scratches underneath the part where the magnetic hinge of the smart cover touches the side of the iPad.

4 days...I was horrified. I accepted the fact that the device would eventually get scratched (back exposed and all) but didn't expect the cover to be the reason for the scratches. Unlike yours that rubbed away, mine were actual scratches.

I've always had luck at the Genius Bar so I decided to take it in. I told them that I only had it for 4 days and without hesitation the guy replaced my iPad with a brand new one (sealed box and all...not refurbished ones in the back drawer) and refunded my money for the smart cover so I could purchase another one that I would be satisfied with.

Thank you Apple! Customer service like this is the reason I've been loyal all these years.

Martlets93

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
I'm not nutty about whether or not I scratch my device, but I had Ghost Armor installed. The Smart Cover attaches over that.

gamecube117

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012

What??? That's a HUGE scratch!

Eves apple

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
My original iPad 2 had the same problem as the OP with its smart cover, after a while it does mark/scratch the back of the iPad, I changed to another case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.