Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:14 AM   #1
alpha752
macrumors newbie

Rev B MBA died, any hope?

Before I get beaten, I did search and got an answer, but I was just wondering if there was any new information (hoping anyway).

I got a rev B MBA (13"/1.86/2gb/128 ssd) off ebay a few weeks ago, and its great. Except today. I was lightly browsing, and I got a gray screen telling me to hold the power button to power off my computer. When rebooting, it wont boot and beeps 3 times. I know from searching this is a RAM issue. I reset the smc, and pram, no good. I opened up the MBA, and see no obvious damage. I tried disconnecting the battery, clearing the capacitors, and tinkered with whatever I could, nothing helps.

I know the RAM is soldered on, and since im way out of warranty, it means a new logic board. I just ordered a new 2010 MBA 13" ultimate, so im not real worried about this (should be here monday!), but I was hoping to sell the rev b to recoup some of the cost. Theres almost no data on the ssd, so I dont even care about recovering that.

With out replacing the logic board ($500 if I do it myself, no idea what Apple will charge), any hope to get this thing to a sellable state, or am I just stuck?
alpha752 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Contact the seller. Even though it is a used item, it should last more than a few weeks.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:36 PM   #3
KPOM
macrumors G3

I'd also suggest getting a repair estimate from an Apple Store or authorized service center. As an occasional seller on eBay, I'd definitely try to make things good, but would appreciate if the buyer investigated the issue (for instance, to make sure it wasn't an easy fix). I once sold an iPod on eBay and a few weeks later it stopped working. There was no sign of any trouble when I sold it. Sometimes things happen, but I worked out a solution for the buyer that we were both satisfied with.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air