Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:41 AM   #1
OKComputer
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to OKComputer
Bose Quiet Comfort headphones

So i recently splurged and spent 300 dollars on headphones so i figured id start this thread to convince you all im not crazy for spending that much! I bought them at the apple store and they came in this nice box with a velvet pouch. I was going on a trip the next day and im sure you all know how loud those NW DC-9s can be. Anyway, I put them on and it was like the world had gone completely silent. Not only that, the sound quality is awesome. It was like my Mp3s had become high def recordings all of the sudden. The bass is just awesome. So if you want one pair of headphones for the rest of your life, go buy them.

pros, noise cancelation, sound quality, comfortable fit
cons, price
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:48 AM   #2
stubeeef
macrumors 68030

I am a pilot and we use bose noise cancelling headphones in the cockpit, I love them, of course for the cockpit they cost a cool grand (yes $1000.00).

If you travel even a moderate amount, I think you made a wise investment. I was an audiophile 20 years ago, and you would be amazed at how many people would spend thousands on equipment and nothing on the speakers! It should be the exact opposite, spend the money on the speakers and then the equipment (iPods excluded).

Enjoy, good choice.
stubeeef is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:33 AM   #3
mac-er
macrumors 65816

I think you made an excellent choice. Of all the premium speakers (harmon/kardon, etc), Bose is the best. I've used them a couple of times, and my bother has a pair that he uses on flights. The sound is amazing.

Just don't stick them in the seat back in front of you and forget them! Unclaimed Baggage Center usually has a lot of them for sale (and a lot of iPods too ...and they always say "For Mac Computers", and never mention you can use them with a PC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKComputer
So i recently splurged and spent 300 dollars on headphones so i figured id start this thread to convince you all im not crazy for spending that much! I bought them at the apple store and they came in this nice box with a velvet pouch. I was going on a trip the next day and im sure you all know how loud those NW DC-9s can be. Anyway, I put them on and it was like the world had gone completely silent. Not only that, the sound quality is awesome. It was like my Mp3s had become high def recordings all of the sudden. The bass is just awesome. So if you want one pair of headphones for the rest of your life, go buy them.

cons, price
mac-er is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2005, 01:13 PM   #4
daveL
macrumors 68020

My problem with Bose in general is their pricing; I think you're paying a lot for the name. I have a 1st gen set of the Bose headphones, and I like them, but I still think they were over priced for what they are.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 04:05 PM   #5
jalagl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to jalagl
I would love to get these, but I just can't justify paying $300 for them... at least not yet
I have the inexpensive ones from Sony, which aren't that bad, but are nowhere near the Bose in quality.
jalagl is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:09 PM   #6
puckhead193
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKComputer
I was going on a trip the next day and im sure you all know how loud those NW DC-9s can be. Anyway, I put them on and it was like the world had gone completely silent.
cons, price
You summed it up pretty well. I have the first series (the gold ones)and those things are freakin amazing. Everyone who has try them on a plane will never go back to regualr headphones.
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0
Old Feb 21, 2005, 05:30 AM   #7
OKComputer
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to OKComputer
i travel quite a bit so yea, these headphones were worth it. If you refuse to shell out the cash then Bose also makes the triport headphones for 150 which are pretty decent as well. personally i was tired of shelling out 50 bucks every year when my sony headphones broke, wore out etc.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews