Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Mkz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via MSN to Mkz
What's the weight of the Smart Cover?

I've done some googling and I can't find the exact weight. I've ordered a gorgeous Grove case that weighs 200g/7 ounces and I'm think the Smart Cover will weigh more than I expect.

Can someone weigh it or give me the weight please?

Thanks
Mkz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:24 PM   #2
TheFarmer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkz View Post
I've done some googling and I can't find the exact weight. I've ordered a gorgeous Grove case that weighs 200g/7 ounces and I'm think the Smart Cover will weigh more than I expect.

Can someone weigh it or give me the weight please?

Thanks
Does it seriously matter? It's so light it's stupid if it matters.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011 2.3 Quad Core i7 8GB RAM 750GB Matte High Res Screen
MacBook 13" Late 08 2.4 C2D 4GB RAM 250GB HD
TheFarmer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Mkz
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via MSN to Mkz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFarmer View Post
Does it seriously matter? It's so light it's stupid if it matters.
So you own one and you know it's light? Or are you just guessing..
Mkz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:32 PM   #4
TheFarmer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkz View Post
So you own one and you know it's light? Or are you just guessing..
Yes I own one. The black leather one. It's ridiculous to even matter in weight. Can't tell a difference in weight with it on or off.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011 2.3 Quad Core i7 8GB RAM 750GB Matte High Res Screen
MacBook 13" Late 08 2.4 C2D 4GB RAM 250GB HD
TheFarmer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:36 PM   #5
Mkz
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via MSN to Mkz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFarmer View Post
Yes I own one. The black leather one. It's ridiculous to even matter in weight. Can't tell a difference in weight with it on or off.
Alright, thanks. I read a review that said they thought it weighed almost as much as the iPad itself so I was a little worried.
Mkz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:38 PM   #6
HXGuy
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Don't listen to that guy, the cover does have some noticeable weight to it.

I just weighed it on my postal scale and it comes in at 4.8oz, so just over a 1/4 lb. The iPad itself weights 1lb 5.2oz, so you're looking at a 18% increase in weight with the cover on.
HXGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:41 PM   #7
Mkz
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via MSN to Mkz
Quote:
Originally Posted by HXGuy View Post
Don't listen to that guy, the cover does have some noticeable weight to it.

I just weighed it on my postal scale and it comes in at 4.8oz, so just over a 1/4 lb. The iPad itself weights 1lb 5.2oz, so you're looking at a 18% increase in weight with the cover on.
Thanks a lot for the proper reply! I thought it'd be a reasonable weight.

I'm gonna go with the other case since it's only 7 oz and it's bamboo, same smart cover front design and protects the back. Not to mention it looks amazing.
Mkz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:40 PM   #8
TheFarmer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Jesus Christ you guys need to hit the gym if 4.8oz's labors your muscles lolol. Good gawd.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011 2.3 Quad Core i7 8GB RAM 750GB Matte High Res Screen
MacBook 13" Late 08 2.4 C2D 4GB RAM 250GB HD
TheFarmer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:47 PM   #9
jvmxtra
macrumors 65816
 
jvmxtra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
seriously this smart cover is lighter than any other cover out there and so much useful and adds coolness and usefulness to it.

Just get it and you will love it.
__________________
--still apple fan but it's getting difficult...
jvmxtra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:04 AM   #10
Mkz
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via MSN to Mkz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFarmer View Post
Jesus Christ you guys need to hit the gym if 4.8oz's labors your muscles lolol. Good gawd.
Quit being a douche. If you'd answered the question properly in the first place then that'd be the end of it, all I wanted to know was the weight. As I expected it was almost as heavy as a complete case.
Mkz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:35 AM   #11
freddy425
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southeast USA
Don't mean to jump this thread but has anyone found a good review of the leather smart cover?

thanks
__________________
15" MacbookPro4,1
32 GB Black iPad 2, Black Leather Smart Cover
160 GB iPod Classic
iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S
freddy425 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:27 PM   #12
nightfly13
macrumors 6502a
 
nightfly13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ranchi, India
Send a message via AIM to nightfly13 Send a message via Skype™ to nightfly13
What do you want to know Freddy? I've read dozens of reviews...

The Grove case looks sweet, but I don't want to add the bulk. 7oz for a wood case and folding leather 'smart' cover is pretty amazing. I did read a review once (I think here on MR) that they case didn't stand up to a drop, but better the case goes than the iPad, I suppose.

Light
Strong
Awesome looking

Pick any two
__________________
27" iMac (i7), SSD+HDD
15" MBP, SSD+HDD
the new iPad, iPhone 4s
nightfly13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:27 AM   #13
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
I actually think this is a valid concern. The iPad 2 is more appealing to me because of the lighter weight. You can definitely tell the difference when reading for long periods. The device isn't heavy in absolute terms, but it's definitely noticeably heavier with the cover. I'm beginning to find that I prefer the weight of the iPad 2 without the cover.
thelookingglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:05 AM   #14
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I have to say I don't really notice a weight difference with the Smart Cover on. Sure, it's not totally weightless, but it's like -- if you are reading a 200 page book, would it really make that much of a difference compared to reading a 150 page book?
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:30 AM   #15
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
I have to say I don't really notice a weight difference with the Smart Cover on. Sure, it's not totally weightless, but it's like -- if you are reading a 200 page book, would it really make that much of a difference compared to reading a 150 page book?
Fair enough. Like all things Apple, many of us tend to overanalyze this stuff. When I actually sit down to read on the thing, it probably won't matter whether or not the smart cover is on.
thelookingglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 01:55 PM   #16
mtnclimber
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Ignorant people

I am amazed at how people assume things they know nothing about. I am a mountain climber and extremely fit. I climb the 14,000 ft plus mountains in Colorado year around -- yes even in winter. Along with food, water, ice axe and extra clothing, I also haul an HF radio, an iPad, a battery, and an antenna up the mountain for making international contacts. There is a whole radio sport with awards for these achievements. EVERY OUNCE matters!!!! I too am curious about the EXACT weight. Grams would be more precise than ounces.

For all you know, Mkz may suffer from severe arthritis. Maybe he lost a hand in battle in Iraq. The point is you don't know why he wants to know the weight. Stop being jerks and either answer the guy's question or keep quiet.

----------

Is this forum moderated? Why is the moderator allowing jerks to post stupid and insulting comments that add nothing to the thread?
mtnclimber is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 02:01 PM   #17
noteple
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
leather cover is 142 grams.

The package says the polyurethane cover is 68 grams.

Ymmv
noteple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 02:10 PM   #18
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
I am amazed at how people assume things they know nothing about. I am a mountain climber and extremely fit. I climb the 14,000 ft plus mountains in Colorado year around -- yes even in winter. Along with food, water, ice axe and extra clothing, I also haul an HF radio, an iPad, a battery, and an antenna up the mountain for making international contacts. There is a whole radio sport with awards for these achievements. EVERY OUNCE matters!!!! I too am curious about the EXACT weight. Grams would be more precise than ounces.

For all you know, Mkz may suffer from severe arthritis. Maybe he lost a hand in battle in Iraq. The point is you don't know why he wants to know the weight. Stop being jerks and either answer the guy's question or keep quiet.

----------

Is this forum moderated? Why is the moderator allowing jerks to post stupid and insulting comments that add nothing to the thread?
And how exactly did your response benefit this thread?

Ignorant people calling people ignorant...
Redjericho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 07:28 PM   #19
glen e
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFarmer View Post
Jesus Christ you guys need to hit the gym if 4.8oz's labors your muscles lolol. Good gawd.
Agreed....rediculous......
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Smart Cover W/Power Support Air Jacket And/Or Smart Case beeinformed iPad Accessories 5 Apr 7, 2014 04:23 AM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini Smart Cover - What is the exact weight? dmk1974 iPad Accessories 8 Nov 17, 2013 07:36 AM
iPad: Ipad Air--Smart Cover, Smart Case. Smart Cover with Sleeve or Naked with sleeve? jaybar iPad Accessories 3 Nov 4, 2013 10:52 PM
iPad: iPad Air Smart Cover Weight compared to the Smart Case Charliebird iPad Accessories 5 Nov 4, 2013 06:02 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps