Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbnvirginia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
South of Fredericksburg, VA
I switched from AT&T to Verizon, when the iPhone 4 rolled out on February 10th. We had two numbers on the AT&T account. My wife's 3G had no contract, so I switched her on February 10th and I switched my iPhone 4 after posting it on eBay on February 17th. I did not pay the AT&T bill that I received at the first of February because I knew that they advance billed. When I received my March bill I expected the February bill to be prorated but it was not.

I called AT&T and talked to customer service and was told that because I canceled my account before the end of the billing cycle that my bill would not be prorated. My wife's number only used 2 days in the billing cycle and my number only used 10 days on the billing cycle. The advance bill was $129.62. I figured that it should have been prorated down to approximately $38.00.

AT&T's policy is "When canceling an account at the end of the bill cycle, the customer will always receive a complete final bill with all usage charges and the monthly service charge. When service is canceled immediately, charges could possibly be prorated. Refer to Prorated Charges.

Advanced Billing: Monthly recurring charges and airtime are not prorated even if the service is canceled before the bill cycle end date."

I believe this is just another way for AT&T to take advantage of iPhone customer's that are tired of poor service and decided to switch to Verizon. I was willing to pay the early termination fee ($255.00 plus tax) but do not feel that I should have to pay for advance billed days that I did not use. I have filed a complaint with my state's utility commission. This looks like another class-action lawsuit for AT&T.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I believe this is just another way for AT&T to take advantage of iPhone customer's that are tired of poor service and decided to switch to Verizon.
Sooo, you think that AT&T, changed their policy, just because Verizon got the iPhone? Yeah Right!
This looks like another class-action lawsuit for AT&T.
That will just give their attorneys something to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.