Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I had been wondering.

Just what would be needed to make the PS3 Bluetooth controller work on the iPad ?

I'm guess there would be MASSIVE interest if this were possible.

Is it just down to Apple to allow the controller to pair with the iPad?
(and once it's allowed, then devs could put it as a control option in a games preferences menu)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
So, I take it, no-one knows if/how this would be possible.

Other than if Apple were let the PS3 controller pair with the iPad, which I guess they never will.

But would you all like it, if it was an option?

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
So, I take it, no-one knows if/how this would be possible.

Other than if Apple were let the PS3 controller pair with the iPad, which I guess they never will.

But would you all like it, if it was an option?

The controller is a no go. But the keypad for the ps3 is a go. Unfortunately, the keypad keys are so small (smaller than the ipad's keyboard), there's no point.

I would also like native game controller support in iOS 5.0 please.
:)

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
The ps3 controller uses proprietary codes. So no go. Unfortunately just because its bluetooth. It doesn't necessary mean it'll play nice.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Ok, so I shall alter my question :)

Does Apple block devices from connecting via Bluetooth?

If a bluetooth keyboard works then it's recieving key presses, which could just as easy be joystick/button presses.

Could someone make a controller that sent out codes to the ipad?

And then, does Apple allow apps to detect bluetooth signals coming in from an external device?

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
Ok, so I shall alter my question :)

Does Apple block devices from connecting via Bluetooth?

If a bluetooth keyboard works then it's recieving key presses, which could just as easy be joystick/button presses.

Could someone make a controller that sent out codes to the ipad?

And then, does Apple allow apps to detect bluetooth signals coming in from an external device?

Your answer lies in Jailbreaking. None of the developer API's allow you to do this. If you go outside of the API (beyond the developer agreement), you might as well develop a JB app to do what you want. But then that would also mean JB games.

I'm sure apple will somehow someday address this in future iOS functionality. It's only rational since they allow you to use bluetooth keyboards but I think it's just that the entire iOS is branched from a TOUCH UI design...

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

A PS3 controller will pair with an iOS device if Sony gets the controller "Made for iPod" certified. There are APIs to pair a device, but it needs to be MFI certified to work.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
My worry is Apple will never allow a Bluetooth controller, as they will, correction, Steve Jobs will view this as admitting a fail.

They want the touchscreen to be THE THING.

Saying, her is a Bluetooth controller you can use, Steve is going to see as admitting, well, a touchscreen is not perfect for everything.

That's the problem I see, whilst Steve is around, he would block the very notion of such a product.

I would like to be proven wrong though.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I've been using a Wiimote and Classic Controller via Bluetooth for a few months... works very well.

You'd have to jailbreak your iPad though.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
I've been using a Wiimote and Classic Controller via Bluetooth for a few months... works very well.

You'd have to jailbreak your iPad though.
I'd love to know more. iPad is already jail broken and I have a wiimote I can use.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
There is a utility for jailbroken iOS devices called "BTstack." This allows the connection of the WiiMote+classic controller. It of course only works in apps that were designed to accept a controller, so forget about using it on app store apps. snes9x ex is a great (free) SNES emulator that plays nice with the WiiMote. It syncs in a matter of seconds right from the home menu of the app (so you don't need to jump over to settings every time). I believe it installs BTstack when you install snes9x ex. BTstack is nice because it will shut off blutooth when you have stopped using the app for several seconds. Helps to conserve battery without constantly going to settings.

to the OP, I agree that someone should have by now created a controller that has buttons mapped to typical keyboard keys, which would also be recognized as a standard keyboard. i.e. arrow up=arrow up, a button=letter a, etc. Obviously this would only allow a D-Pad though, since there is no velocity/sensitivity on a keyboard to mimic a joystick. The controller could then be used with App store apps that allow use of a "keyboard" in leu of some on screen controls if the user decides.

meb91

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
My worry is Apple will never allow a Bluetooth controller, as they will, correction, Steve Jobs will view this as admitting a fail.

Saying, her is a Bluetooth controller you can use, Steve is going to see as admitting, well, a touchscreen is not perfect for everything.

That's the problem I see, whilst Steve is around, he would block the very notion of such a product.

I see where you're coming from, but by that logic wouldn't they not have allowed Bluetooth keyboards either? You could say that allowing keyboards is admitting the touch screen isn't perfect for typing long documents, etc compared to a physical keyboard.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010

Come on Piggie, you're smarter than this.

Apple has always made improvements, alterations, advances in their products. If they were worried that something new would be 'admitting a fail' then there would only ever have been one generation of one product, ever.

They also don't say a touchscreen is perfect for everything, because they've already offered a BT keyb, and offer other products with other input schemae.

You could flip it around and say that Apple is already saying that the iPad and touchscreen isn't perfect for everything, such as controller-input games, which is why they don't bother offering it.

My read of the situation is that, on the balance, the investment in opening up BT to multiple types of device is not worth the benefit at the moment. There would be legacy issues down the road, unintended consequences, compatibility issues, consumer confusion about how the intent of the device, etc. Those who really need a different interface are already working with other products, Apple or otherwise.

So: Never say never but not for while; and it's more to do with their business plan and less with obstinacy.

EDIT: Whoa, who brought this thread back from nowhere? Drat.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
There is a utility for jailbroken iOS devices called "BTstack." This allows the connection of the WiiMote+classic controller. It of course only works in apps that were designed to accept a controller, so forget about using it on app store apps. snes9x ex is a great (free) SNES emulator that plays nice with the WiiMote. It syncs in a matter of seconds right from the home menu of the app (so you don't need to jump over to settings every time). I believe it installs BTstack when you install snes9x ex. BTstack is nice because it will shut off blutooth when you have stopped using the app for several seconds. Helps to conserve battery without constantly going to settings.

to the OP, I agree that someone should have by now created a controller that has buttons mapped to typical keyboard keys, which would also be recognized as a standard keyboard. i.e. arrow up=arrow up, a button=letter a, etc. Obviously this would only allow a D-Pad though, since there is no velocity/sensitivity on a keyboard to mimic a joystick. The controller could then be used with App store apps that allow use of a "keyboard" in leu of some on screen controls if the user decides.
Ahh. Thanks very much!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.