Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imutter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I hope this is the right place to start this thread.
I bought Ipad2 for me. I have not enough funds available for my child at this moment who has an pretty impressive laptop anyway.
He is a iphone junkie so and I know he will try to snatch "My new toy" . We are only 3 in my family and we have iphones.
I myself got it more or less because iphone is sometimes just to small for me.

I wondered so how many got their children the ipad (or handed down Ipad1) and what ages. I also wondered how many have Special needs children with the ipad and what a difference it made in their lives?

TurtleGrrl

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
I wondered so how many got their children the ipad (or handed down Ipad1) and what ages. I also wondered how many have Special needs children with the ipad and what a difference it made in their lives?

If I like the Ipad 2 I might buy a one for my daughter, who is six. We will let her use the two, since I have already found some pretty cool apps for kids. My husband doesn't like the idea of her having her own "toys" yet.

COSWORTH

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
If I like the Ipad 2 I might buy a one for my daughter, who is six. We will let her use the two, since I have already found some pretty cool apps for kids. My husband doesn't like the idea of her having her own "toys" yet.

I believe in giving my son every advantage I can to learn and succeed in life. Nothing at all wrong with a child having an ipad.

thisyearsgirl

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
I bought one for my 80 year old grandpa! I still have the first iPad, won't be able to upgrade for myself until at least the iPad 3. But now I have to load it up with apps and ship it to him and hope he can figure out how to use it!

Also, re: kids -- my 2 year old nephew was given an iPad by his grandparents-who-aren't-related-to-me for Christmas. My sister was iffy about it, but I think they use it for learning games and whatnot, and I'm sure he'll use it for some sort of interactive reading when he's a little bit older.

TurtleGrrl

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
I believe in giving my son every advantage I can to learn and succeed in life. Nothing at all wrong with a child having an ipad.

I would love to give my daughter every advantage in life, but I can't afford to send her to a better school, and I worked during her early years, which many people would cringe at. But I would not be able to think about buying an ipad or an ipad2, because the promotions and opportunities I gained during those years have put us in a place where we can afford to buy things.

Basically I can't give her every advantage, so I have to pick and choose what I can do. $600 is over six months of music lessons.

My husband’s concern is more that we have noticed that my daughter has little understanding of the monetary value of things, and less respect for her belongings. I understand this is our fault, and we are working on correcting it.

FireSokar

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I ordered mine and the wife's online and me and my 2 yearold waited outside bestbuy for a 4 hours for the iPad 2 for him. Alot of people were suprised we waited there for him instead of me. Felt pretty good in the end, glad we waited for him to get one and not me. Makes his good attitude he had the whole time worth it.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
I would love to give my daughter every advantage in life, but I can't afford to send her to a better school, and I worked during her early years, which many people would cringe at. But I would not be able to think about buying an ipad or an ipad2, because the promotions and opportunities I gained during those years have put us in a place where we can afford to buy things.

Basically I can't give her every advantage, so I have to pick and choose what I can do. $600 is over six months of music lessons.

My husband’s concern is more that we have noticed that my daughter has little understanding of the monetary value of things, and less respect for her belongings. I understand this is our fault, and we are working on correcting it.

Good for you. That is a compliment. I know how things get misunderstood at times on these forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.