Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
Browsing eBay I came across this seller from Vancouver (and shipping out of Washington State) with good-looking and reasonably priced iPad 2 back cover skins.

Any thoughts of experiences?

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
Looks just like the Lucky Labs skin. I just posted up an image in that thread i started 2 minutes ago.

Pictures look better than the one i posted for LL. But im still not a huge fan of the design. i wish it would wrap all the way to the edges with cuts outs for the buttons/headphone jack. Then it would look much nicer...

But I guess for 16.95 its not terrible to see how it looks in person

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Thanks for this post. I'm going to take a shot at the Black Leather for $14.95. The aesthetics of this don't bother me at all. If the designers attempted to extend all the way to the edge there would have to be slits cut in the corners to account for the curve on the ipad's back. I prefer this look to slits in the skin.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
Keep us updated when you get it. Those pictures look great. I like the white ones too.

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I wanted to wait and see what the "wrap around" skins looked like before I ordered this but today 2 things led me to place my order with juststickitskins:

1) I called fusion of ideas and they said that their iPad2 skin will have "U" shape in the corners. They can give you the sticker cutouts on the "U's" if you want and you can stick them there to give it the full body look but it won't be 1 piece. Thought about it and didn't think it would look very good. Also fusion of ideas doesn't do the apple logo cutout in back.

2) I saw this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Matts-Carbon-Fiber-Sticker-Apple-iPad-2-ipad2-2nd-/330541256989
Holy crap the pictures make the wrap around skin look atrocious. The speaker, the volume rocker, the lock button... almost puked.

After seeing this, juststickitskins (which seem to look just like Lucky Labs skins but cheaper and free shipping) seemed to be the ideal fit (no pun intended). I ordered the black carbon fiber because it appears to be most durable and I don't think you will be able to see any creases or bubbles with that busy texture pattern.

Later I'll get the marware micro case but this will put my mind at ease for now...

cinca

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Im excited to catching this thread. I am definitely excited about the combo of a nice vinyl backing and a new apple magic cover. I personally like Stealth Armor matte black or maybe the faux if it matches the black leather apple magic cover.

A quick question to anyone looking at (or having purchased..!) these backings.

Does the small layer of sticker that sits between the magnets on the ipad and the screen cover hinge limit their effectiveness..? I know that magnets get exponentially weakers as the distance between them increases so I was soldering if anyone had any experience sith how well the magnets "hook up" when there is a layer of protective vinyl backing between them...

Anyone have personal experience..?

I wonder if some backing makers will provide a version of their backings with "cut aways" in that area to give the hinge and ipad spot to connect without the backing there to interfere?

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Hi cinca,

I would call fusion of ideas at 949.453.0824 (press 1 for the retail store) and ask them about the stealth armor and using with smart covers. I spoke to them earlier this morning and I think they are not leaving a gap for the smart cover but I didn't ask about the effectiveness of the magnets.

Also they said that they had a photographer come out yesterday to take pictures of the stealth armor installed on an iPad2 and they expect to post pics in 1-2 days so I would wait to make your decision to see what they look like.

On the other hand, the skins that don't wrap around the tapered edges look like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/iPad-2-Black-Carbon-Fibre-Skin-Kit-/220753638404?pt
So I don't think they'll interfere with the smart cover adhering at all.

One thing to remember is that the Stealth Armor doesn't offer Apple logo cutout which is kind of a bummer (looks pretty nice with the logo cutout on the juststickit skins)...

Let us know what you decide and post pics... Just ordered my just stick it today so hope to get it in ~2 days and will post pics...

cinca

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Thanks for the tip(s). Ill give them a call and ask if for no other reasoncto plant the seed in their head if it turns out to be a good option for those with smart covers.

I am very curious how the backings will fit that cover the whole back as I imagine there would be "bunching" that would happen in the corners..? No..?

Anyone have any experience (photos?!?) with iPad 2 back skins?

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Keep us updated when you get it. Those pictures look great. I like the white ones too.

I opted for overnight shipping of the juststickit from ebay so I can take it on a business trip this week. I'll try to take some quick pics and post tomorrow when I get it installed.

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
Ordered the black leather one this morning... let you all know how it comes out... need to get my ipad first though

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
For those that ordered, can you please let us know how the ebay seller is? (i.e. communcation, shipping speed, etc)

I sent the seller a question yesterday around this time of day and have yet to hear back from them. They advertise "ships within 1 business day" but they cant respond to a question in that time? hmmm....

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
For those that ordered, can you please let us know how the ebay seller is? (i.e. communcation, shipping speed, etc)

I sent the seller a question yesterday around this time of day and have yet to hear back from them. They advertise "ships within 1 business day" but they cant respond to a question in that time? hmmm....

Best one to answer is sotie. He ordered with overnight shipping yesterday. We'll see when he gets it ;)

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
I just received and installed the faux black leather skin from ebay seller juststickitskins. The brand name on the packaging is "Surface Skins". Here are my thoughts on it...

Someone asked about the seller's communication. I purchased on Sunday and we emailed each other back and forth three times yesterday regarding shipping. I paid extra for expedited because I wanted to receive it in time before I take off on a business trip tomorrow. Maybe he's more responsive after the sale than prior?

I know from reading the posts here that many people don't like that this style of skin leaves the ipad case edges exposed and would like to see the skin continue all the way over the curved case edge. I had no problem ordering this and actually find the look to be aesthetically pleasing. I really like the look of the black skin juxtoposed with the silver aluminum of the ipad case.

I was very concerned that while using the smart cover in the typing position the exposed case edge would be in contact with the desk/countertop. However, the skin extends just enough to barely cover any part of the case that touches while in typing position. I tried to take a picture of this to illustrate my point.

The skin is very thin. I actually didn't expect it to be so thin. While standing in the ipad 2 line last Friday I saw someone with a Carbon Fiber SGP skin intalled on his ipad 1. My memory might be off but I seemed to remember that it was quite a bit thicker than this skin. Being thicker it had a "padded" feeling to it. I think I would prefer to have that padded feeling while holding the ipad but on the other hand it probably wouldn't look too good where the skin stops and the edges meet the case. This skin will definitely provide scratch protection as it was meant to do.

The apple logo is actually cut out from the skin. It looks nice but the logo is at risk of being scratched.

I quickly noticed that the skin attracts oils from my fingers/hands very easily. I grabbed my ipad mico fiber cloth and it wiped right off.

Installation: I began from the top so I could perfectly align the camera hole and worked my way down. Everytime I got to the apple logo it wouldn't line up perfectly. After a few tries I decided to start from the logo in the middle and work my way up then finished by working from the middle to the bottom. With this method I got it perfect on the first try.

Overall I'm satisfied with it as it will provide the scratch protection I'm looking for and I think it looks good. I'm sure I'll be keeping my eye on the market and see what else is offered in the next few months. I just saw that dodocase has an ipad 2 skin for sale called BOOKback. They advertise it as Morrocan fabric combined with a reusable, peel and stick adhesive. I'll be watching that one because it probably gives more of the "padded" feeling that I'd prefer.

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

Last edited:

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Sotie thanks for the pics.... looks very nice - excited to get my carbon fiber one shortly.

I figure the carbon fiber pattern is busy enough not to show the finger grease (I hope).

If you look on youtube there is a video of installation of the iPad 1 skin for lucky labs and they say to start from the Apple logo as well (from the middle) - I think I'll do that, seems easier.

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
Sotie, thanks for the pictures! It really does look awesome with the black leather finish. Now I am having second thoughts about getting carbon fiber. :p

LateAppleFan

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
New York City
Thanks for the photos, they show a lot more details than those on the retail sites. You did a great job with the installation and the Ipad looks good with the leather back. I have ordered the brushed metal skin from Lucky Labs and hope that it will blend in with the aluminum black. Unfortunately, my unit is in limbo right now due to light bleeding.

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Thanks for the photos, they show a lot more details than those on the retail sites. You did a great job with the installation and the Ipad looks good with the leather back. I have ordered the brushed metal skin from Lucky Labs and hope that it will blend in with the aluminum black. Unfortunately, my unit is in limbo right now due to light bleeding.

Thanks. I'm really happy with the way it looks. This is a great solution for me because I really wanted to enjoy how slim and sleek the ipad 2 is but still have some type of scratch protection. I kept my ipad 1 in a high-end Vaja Limited Case and this time around I decided to keep it as bare as possible!

However, I mentioned the problem with oil from my fingers transferring to the skin... I'm pretty much ocd about these things but it seems like everytime I touch the ipad there is a mark left on the skin. I definitely don't have any issues with sweaty palms or anything like that! I'll have my wife handle it and see if the same thing happens. In my brief review I stated that I couldn't get those oil marks off with just a cleaning cloth by itself but now I am able to.

itcrashed

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
Bay Area, CA
While standing in the ipad 2 line last Friday I saw someone with a Carbon Fiber SGP skin intalled on his ipad 1. My memory might be off but I seemed to remember that it was quite a bit thicker than this skin. Being thicker it had a "padded" feeling to it. I think I would prefer to have that padded feeling while holding the ipad but on the other hand it probably wouldn't look too good where the skin stops and the edges meet the case. This skin will definitely provide scratch protection as it was meant to do.

Hey Sotie,

I'm the guy you met in line that had the SGP skin :) The SGP kit for the iPad 1 actually included a clear film for the rear Apple logo. Thanks for sharing the pics and the quick review. I ordered the black carbon fiber skin from this ebay reseller but it sounds like they don't include the clear film for the logo. But I prefer this skin because I'm not too fond of the U shaped cutouts on the corners that other vendors are producing. I am using a smart cover as well, so I like the fact that it doesn't cover the edge.

Not sure if you saw the other thread, but SGP released their clear film for the front... http://www.sgpstore.com/tablets/app...g-wifi-screen-protector-steinheil-series.html

...btw, pretty crazy line by the time it hit 5:00.

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Hey Sotie,

I'm the guy you met in line that had the SGP skin :) The SGP kit for the iPad 1 actually included a clear film for the rear Apple logo. Thanks for sharing the pics and the quick review. I ordered the black carbon fiber skin from this ebay reseller but it sounds like they don't include the clear film for the logo. But I prefer this skin because I'm not too fond of the U shaped cutouts on the corners that other vendors are producing. I am using a smart cover as well, so I like the fact that it doesn't cover the edge.

Not sure if you saw the other thread, but SGP released their clear film for the front... http://www.sgpstore.com/tablets/app...g-wifi-screen-protector-steinheil-series.html

...btw, pretty crazy line by the time it hit 5:00.

That's funny to see you here! I don't like those u-shaped cutouts either. I was about to purchase a skin from fusionofideas.com because they were set to ship on 3/14. They didn't have any product pictures up over the weekend and I'm glad I passed on their's because it has those u-shaped corners.

For screen protection I really prefer Power Support. Their's hasn't been released yet so I ordered the Power Support ipad 1 screen protector and will just punch a small hole for the front camera with a drill bit.

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
Just wanted to let you guys (following this thread) that i found another solution that seems to be a better solution (covers more area):

iPad_2.png

iCarbons has released their iPad 2 skins in (black carbon, white carbon, light wood, and dark wood). They all come with the contrasting apple logo too!

Has a front and back cover, but you can opt to buy just one of them if you want. Found this last night while searching and it looks promising to me...although you have to use a hairdryer to properly install the corners. But thats not big deal to me.

I am curious how the material compares. iCarbons says it is a vinyl skin.

Sotie, you mentioned the juststickit skin is very thin, which leads me to believe it is vinyl as well?

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
I just checked out the iCarbons website and I like that the apple logo is protected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.