Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:16 PM   #1
orlandocano
macrumors regular

"Other" memory usage when iPad plugged into iTunes??

Ive searched and searched for an answere to this question before starting a thread but all I found were posts related to people jailbraking.

Heres the story: I upgraded from iPad 1 to iPad2 (32gig). When I restored my iPad2 from my last iPad1 backup, I noticed that I am using 10 gigs on music, apps, and books (only thigns I keep on iPad). But iTunes is saying I have 4 gigs of memory tied up in "other" data.

The only reason I care is because a friend wants to trade his 16gig iPad2 + $110 cash for my 32gig iPad2. I would do it but I cant because i worry that too much of my memory space is being used up by this "other" stuff.

If you guys dont mind sharing how many gigs your "other" data is taking up on your iPad2 (or iPad1) .. that would be great..

also, if this is a known problem.. any suggestions on how to fix it? I know apple says "other" data is stuff recorded by applications (contacts, emails, game high scores, etc).. but I cant see a justification for other data to be taking up 4 whole gigs...
orlandocano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:18 PM   #2
orlandocano
macrumors regular

also.. i just checked my iPad touch (which has most of the same apps in iPad2 .. same music.. same books.. etc) and im only using half a gig on it for "other" data... i dont remember this being an issue with my iPad1 because I would have noticed a big yellow bar on my memory meter indicating 4 gigs of "other" memory being used..

sorry for the long post.. just wondering if anyone out there knows whats going on...
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:18 AM   #3
RadicalxEdward
macrumors 6502

On my 16GB iPhone 3G I currently have 2.9GB of "other". Most of what I've noticed is it stems from canceled syncs or apps that are large that start to sync before iTunes realizes they're not compatible. The only way I've found to get rid of it is to completely restore the phone (in your case the ipad) and set it up as a NEW device (don't restore from a backup). That should fix it.
RadicalxEdward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:02 PM   #4
orlandocano
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post
On my 16GB iPhone 3G I currently have 2.9GB of "other". Most of what I've noticed is it stems from canceled syncs or apps that are large that start to sync before iTunes realizes they're not compatible. The only way I've found to get rid of it is to completely restore the phone (in your case the ipad) and set it up as a NEW device (don't restore from a backup). That should fix it.
Thanks a lot for your input.. I will give it a shot and see if it reduces my other stuff
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:05 PM   #5
RadicalxEdward
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandocano View Post
Thanks a lot for your input.. I will give it a shot and see if it reduces my other stuff
you're welcome. just make sure you do a full restore and not just a reset.
RadicalxEdward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:37 AM   #6
orlandocano
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post
you're welcome. just make sure you do a full restore and not just a reset.
Took about 1 hour to get all my settings back to what they were but it was worth it! My "other" data dropped from over 4 gigs to .2 gigs !!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad