Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Hertzog
macrumors newbie

ATT data plan with two iPads

So, I have my new toy (5 hours in line on Friday), and want to set up the ATT account. I was hoping to share the old iPad's plan, but couldn't find a way of doing that, so decided to just set up a new one. But after laboriously typing in all the info, I'm told that I have to use a new email address. Am I missing something? I can always do that, but it's a pain, and a stupid requirement.

During my setup, I did a restore to the old iPad's settings via iTunes; I was hoping that would include the the ATT settings, but I guess not.
Hertzog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Yes, the separate emai requirement is stupid, but we called AT&T and talked to a rep, and apparently there's no way around it.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Hertzog
macrumors newbie

Cool Managing data accounts for two iPads

So I bit the bullet and set up a separate email for the iPad 2. My question now is, can I check the status of the old iPad's account from the iPad 2? I don't have day to day access to the old iPad, and want to make sure the "user" isn't getting into trouble with it (on my $). I tried using the old email and password in setup, but that didn't work. Solution is probably to go to the ATT website and go from there, but I am being lazy, and decided to see if anyone on this forum has a simple solution.
Hertzog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:12 PM   #4
rkahl
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertzog View Post
So I bit the bullet and set up a separate email for the iPad 2. My question now is, can I check the status of the old iPad's account from the iPad 2? I don't have day to day access to the old iPad, and want to make sure the "user" isn't getting into trouble with it (on my $). I tried using the old email and password in setup, but that didn't work. Solution is probably to go to the ATT website and go from there, but I am being lazy, and decided to see if anyone on this forum has a simple solution.
Just call your bank.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:02 AM   #5
patrickj
macrumors regular

I've had this same issue. Your best bet is to call AT&T and make sure that you are no longer linked in any way to the old iPad, and that your plan on it is no longer active.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Location: 8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (Northern Virginia)
Yes, I ran into that situation, too, with the requirement of a different email address for the second iPad. I was setting up the new 3G iPad 2 and my other 3G first-gen iPad still had some days to go before it would be time to renew or cancel that monthly "contract." Sigh..... I went ahead and signed up with another email address for the new iPad and eventually will cancel the subscription on the older iPad and then change the email address on the new one. I'm keeping the older iPad, but won't need to have the 3G activated on it unless something comes up in the future when I would want/need it on both devices.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting