Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hertzog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
So, I have my new toy (5 hours in line on Friday), and want to set up the ATT account. I was hoping to share the old iPad's plan, but couldn't find a way of doing that, so decided to just set up a new one. But after laboriously typing in all the info, I'm told that I have to use a new email address. Am I missing something? I can always do that, but it's a pain, and a stupid requirement.

During my setup, I did a restore to the old iPad's settings via iTunes; I was hoping that would include the the ATT settings, but I guess not.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yes, the separate emai requirement is stupid, but we called AT&T and talked to a rep, and apparently there's no way around it. :(

Hertzog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Managing data accounts for two iPads

So I bit the bullet and set up a separate email for the iPad 2. My question now is, can I check the status of the old iPad's account from the iPad 2? I don't have day to day access to the old iPad, and want to make sure the "user" isn't getting into trouble with it (on my $). I tried using the old email and password in setup, but that didn't work. Solution is probably to go to the ATT website and go from there, but I am being lazy, and decided to see if anyone on this forum has a simple solution.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
So I bit the bullet and set up a separate email for the iPad 2. My question now is, can I check the status of the old iPad's account from the iPad 2? I don't have day to day access to the old iPad, and want to make sure the "user" isn't getting into trouble with it (on my $). I tried using the old email and password in setup, but that didn't work. Solution is probably to go to the ATT website and go from there, but I am being lazy, and decided to see if anyone on this forum has a simple solution.

Just call your bank.

patrickj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Texas
I've had this same issue. Your best bet is to call AT&T and make sure that you are no longer linked in any way to the old iPad, and that your plan on it is no longer active.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yes, I ran into that situation, too, with the requirement of a different email address for the second iPad. I was setting up the new 3G iPad 2 and my other 3G first-gen iPad still had some days to go before it would be time to renew or cancel that monthly "contract." Sigh..... I went ahead and signed up with another email address for the new iPad and eventually will cancel the subscription on the older iPad and then change the email address on the new one. I'm keeping the older iPad, but won't need to have the 3G activated on it unless something comes up in the future when I would want/need it on both devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.