Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:31 AM   #1
cmm
macrumors 6502a

AT&T contract ends soon, can I use my iPhone 3GS on TMobile?

AT&T reception in Boston is terrible, so I am looking into my options.

What would I need to do to use my iPhone on Tmobile in America? Would I need to purchase a data plan? Which?

It is currently jailbroken (4.2) but is not unlocked.
cmm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:39 AM   #2
labman
macrumors 604

If you didn't preserve baseband then there us no unlock at the moment Hopefully soon.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:42 AM   #3
cmm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
If you didn't preserve baseband then there us no unlock at the moment Hopefully soon.
So, if I unlock it, I can use 3G on Tmobile? Are there any disadvantages? Do I need to purchase a data plan on Tmobile? How much does it cost (they have several options)?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:48 AM   #4
jamaggic
macrumors member

T-mob

T-mob does not seem to care that you use an iphone,,, I have a family plan with them and have four iphones on it. Their tech support even has iphone support. Slight drawback is that only Edge works on Tmo, their 3g freq is different than what the iphone can receive and visual voicemail usually does not work... but four iphones with unlimited messaging, data, and 3000 minutes talk shared is ~$200/month.
jamaggic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:51 AM   #5
cmm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaggic View Post
T-mob does not seem to care that you use an iphone,,, I have a family plan with them and have four iphones on it. Their tech support even has iphone support. Slight drawback is that only Edge works on Tmo, their 3g freq is different than what the iphone can receive and visual voicemail usually does not work... but four iphones with unlimited messaging, data, and 3000 minutes talk shared is ~$200/month.
Do you know what the cheapest data plan I need to purchase is for a single line?

How much slower is Edge versus 3G?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:04 AM   #6
jdaniel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmm View Post
Do you know what the cheapest data plan I need to purchase is for a single line?

How much slower is Edge versus 3G?
for these sort of questions head to www.howardforums.com they talk about carriers and such
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:27 AM   #7
MikePA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniel View Post
for these sort of questions head to www.howardforums.com they talk about carriers and such
...and, wait for it, visit the Tmobile site to determine the cost of TMobile data plans. I know, I know, who'd guess this information would be at the TMobile site and not here, but strange things happen.
MikePA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:53 PM   #8
Mr. Chewbacca
macrumors 6502a

If you have updated your phones software to 4.1 or 2 or 3 then you also updated your baseband and cannot unlock your phone.

Check iclarified.com for unlock steps and updates but for now youre stuck
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chewbacca View Post
If you have updated your phones software to 4.1 or 2 or 3 then you also updated your baseband and cannot unlock your phone.

Check iclarified.com for unlock steps and updates but for now youre stuck
He can always install the ipad BB but that's not such a good idea.
And like others said no 3G connection with tmobile, just 2G.
And also dont let them try to sell you the $25 data plan. Go with the $9.99 plan.
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:42 AM   #10
cmm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
And also dont let them try to sell you the $25 data plan. Go with the $9.99 plan.
Thanks. This is what I was looking for. Will Tmobile have 3G for the iPhone in the next 8 months?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:55 AM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmm View Post
Thanks. This is what I was looking for. Will Tmobile have 3G for the iPhone in the next 8 months?
No, they will never have 3G for any current iphone model since their 3G frequency bands are incompatible with the iphone 3G, 3GS and iphone 4.
All you will ever be able to pull is 2G Edge data with Tmobile USA.
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks