Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
AT&T reception in Boston is terrible, so I am looking into my options.

What would I need to do to use my iPhone on Tmobile in America? Would I need to purchase a data plan? Which?

It is currently jailbroken (4.2) but is not unlocked.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
If you didn't preserve baseband then there us no unlock at the moment Hopefully soon.

So, if I unlock it, I can use 3G on Tmobile? Are there any disadvantages? Do I need to purchase a data plan on Tmobile? How much does it cost (they have several options)?

jamaggic

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
SC, thank God
T-mob

T-mob does not seem to care that you use an iphone,,, I have a family plan with them and have four iphones on it. Their tech support even has iphone support. Slight drawback is that only Edge works on Tmo, their 3g freq is different than what the iphone can receive and visual voicemail usually does not work... but four iphones with unlimited messaging, data, and 3000 minutes talk shared is ~$200/month.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
T-mob does not seem to care that you use an iphone,,, I have a family plan with them and have four iphones on it. Their tech support even has iphone support. Slight drawback is that only Edge works on Tmo, their 3g freq is different than what the iphone can receive and visual voicemail usually does not work... but four iphones with unlimited messaging, data, and 3000 minutes talk shared is ~$200/month.

Do you know what the cheapest data plan I need to purchase is for a single line?

How much slower is Edge versus 3G?

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
If you have updated your phones software to 4.1 or 2 or 3 then you also updated your baseband and cannot unlock your phone.

Check iclarified.com for unlock steps and updates but for now youre stuck

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If you have updated your phones software to 4.1 or 2 or 3 then you also updated your baseband and cannot unlock your phone.

Check iclarified.com for unlock steps and updates but for now youre stuck

He can always install the ipad BB but that's not such a good idea.
And like others said no 3G connection with tmobile, just 2G.
And also dont let them try to sell you the $25 data plan. Go with the $9.99 plan.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks. This is what I was looking for. Will Tmobile have 3G for the iPhone in the next 8 months?

No, they will never have 3G for any current iphone model since their 3G frequency bands are incompatible with the iphone 3G, 3GS and iphone 4.
All you will ever be able to pull is 2G Edge data with Tmobile USA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.