Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I'm aware that the rear camera on the ipad2 is worse than the iphone4.

But is the front vga camera for the ipad2 worse than the iphone4's?

Just curious because I've seen a number of videos on facetime between 2 ipad2's and the video quality is just absolutely.......terrible. Looks like a slideshow.

I've facetimed on the iphone 4 with my friend who also has an iphone4. The facetime video quality is pretty clear even though we live in completely different continents.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
I think It is the same camera...
When I compare the footage from both on my computer they are the same, although different color temps slightly..

It looks so terrible on the iPad because the creen is so large...640x480 is low res for a screen that is 10 inches

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
what a coincidence. I was curious about this too so i did some tests.

I facetimed 5 of my friends, first with my mac, than my iphone, than my ipad 2. Every single one of my friends said the quality from best to worse was mac, iphone, ipad 2. 2 of them were actual surprised at how bad the ipads cameras were. With GOOD lighting, if the iphone 4's front facing camera is a 10 than the ipad comes in at 7. But in poor late, no comparison. the ipad camera is terrible.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I thought the iPad's front camera was the same as the iPhone's?

it is, but because the iPad has a 9.7" screen, you notice the "noise" a lot more than on the iPhone 4's or 4th Generation iPod touch's 3.5" screen.

This may not be the best comparison, but:
iPad 2
ipad2x.jpg

iPhone 4
iphone4j.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.