Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I want to have my G5 run as an FTP server. I can turn on FTP access, but that only is working on my local network. (I'm on an airport) I want to be able to just hit the computers at my school up with some ftp://68.84.46.15
and be able to login. Any chance of doing this? BTW, all firewalls are off.

When I turn it on in Sharing prefs instead of an address I get this:
Other people can access your FTP server at ftp://localhost/ or browse for "Jim Sowden’s g5" by choosing Network from the Go menu in the Finder.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Ok, so in port mapping i have public port 21 going to prive ip address 192.168.1.2 with private port zero?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Try this first. Put your computer in the DMZ. This means all traffic on all ports gets thrown to your G5. Try to connect. If not, then your ISP is blocking that port to keep people from having FTP servers. If you can connect, then do a port forward for port 21 to your Mac. Also, you might want to do SSH instead. Using something like Fugu, http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/, to connect and trade files. Its more protected than ftp. And SSH uses port 22, which is probably not blocked like port 21 is.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
varmit said:
Try this first. Put your computer in the DMZ. This means all traffic on all ports gets thrown to your G5. Try to connect. If not, then your ISP is blocking that port to keep people from having FTP servers. If you can connect, then do a port forward for port 21 to your Mac. Also, you might want to do SSH instead. Using something like Fugu, http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/, to connect and trade files. Its more protected than ftp. And SSH uses port 22, which is probably not blocked like port 21 is.
Don't worry, we got it woking (AIM) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.