Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Long time hiatus, back with new mods and a slightly better camera, hope to post to post most some good threads in the Accessories forum

But For now some Teaser shots of my polished iPhone 4

P3083997.jpg

P3083992.jpg

Cheers

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I thought about doing this back when I got mine and I'm glad to see this.

I bet it wasn't hard to do especially with it disassembled down to the main frame. Lightly sand and metal polish.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
thanks guys, the hardest parts was that I didn't take it apart ( so warranty completely intact)

careful masking around glass frame+ fine sandpaper + polish by hand

it actually took a lot longer than I thought for three reasons

1) sanding around the volume buttons was murder
2) very slow wetsanding to avoid any excess water
3) polishing by hand tore avoid getting polishing compound in creases, buttons, 30 pin port

will post more pics this weekend, bug just be warned having a fully reflective phone makes it a fingerprint magnet

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Aboslutely amazing. Very tempted to perform something like this as well. Especially because it's got quite some marks on it.

Maybe in the mood for a how-to guide?:rolleyes:

Orion126

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
I know you said warranty was intact because you didn't take it apart but are you sure about that?

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
All Nice and Fancy Shmancy until you have to bring it in to Apple for a swap under warranty and they decide to void your warranty or give you a new Refurb and you have to start all over again.

This is one particular reason I went back to stock from a JB and why I do not buy colored panels to convert my iP4 to White, just not worth it or the risk of losing the warranty.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
All Nice and Fancy Shmancy until you have to bring it in to Apple for a swap under warranty and they decide to void your warranty or give you a new Refurb and you have to start all over again.

This is one particular reason I went back to stock from a JB and why I do not buy colored panels to convert my iP4 to White, just not worth it or the risk of losing the warranty.

No need to be negative.
Your incorrect in thinking this voids the warranty, as opposed to doing a white conversion

Phone has never been dropped
Phone is in perfect condition
All moisture sensors 100% white
All parts 100% OEM in working condition
Phillips Screws show no signs of use
Phone has never been taken apart

The warranty is completely intact.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Really interested on how you did this. I took my bumper off today to clean mine, and every side is just completely scratched. You see parts of the shine peeking through all of the brushed metal appearance. Doesn't bother me much since all cases pretty much cover that, but it effects the resale when I upgrade to ip5. Plus it looks better than what I have left at this point.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Nice work, OP!

Have you noticed any changes in 3G/wifi signal strength?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Really interested on how you did this. I took my bumper off today to clean mine, and every side is just completely scratched. You see parts of the shine peeking through all of the brushed metal appearance. Doesn't bother me much since all cases pretty much cover that, but it effects the resale when I upgrade to ip5. Plus it looks better than what I have left at this point.
Same here. Thank you Apple bumper.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Very nice! Shame you couldn't take it apart. It would take about 5 minutes on a buffer wheel...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.