Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
For some reason, it isn't listed under iPad accessories, but you can search for it: Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit.

The kit not compatible with SDXC and USB no longer supports USB devices that need more than 20 mA (you can use a powered USB hub as a workaround).

That said, the kit is still useful for connecting with wired keyboard, USB MIDI keyboard (for GarageBand, etc.), and importing photos (directly from SLR camera or SDHC memory card).

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I bought the last one on the rack at my Best Buy when I bought my iPad 2 on launch. I really enjoy it to transfer and qickly post and send photos I've taken with my DSLR. It works wonderfully.

The videos taken with my DSLR transfer and play well on the iPad as well, and I can trim the clips too. One complaint though is how I haven't been able to find out how to use the imported videos on the iPad iMovie app. I was only able to use the videos that were taken on the iPad's camera. So I was a little dissappointed. But perhaps I'm overlooking something.

Oh and I having tried the USB camera dongle adapter, just the SD Card one. I just connect it, insert the SD card, and then it asks to import the photos with an option to delete the imported photos from the card. And when you connect the iPad to your Mac, you can import on iPhoto as you do with other photos taken with it. I'm pretty sure the full resolution gets downloaded to the iPad. I haven't tried using RAW though.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

I wanted to make sure this works. If I hold movies on an sd card can it play it off the sd card without importing to the iPad or do I need to import the movie to the ipad

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

I wanted to make sure this works. If I hold movies on an sd card can it play it off the sd card without importing to the iPad or do I need to import the movie to the ipad

The only way to play movies from the SD card is to jailbreak and use an app that specifically supports that.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
The videos taken with my DSLR transfer and play well on the iPad as well, and I can trim the clips too. One complaint though is how I haven't been able to find out how to use the imported videos on the iPad iMovie app. I was only able to use the videos that were taken on the iPad's camera. So I was a little dissappointed. But perhaps I'm overlooking something.
This is a big gripe I have with Apple and their forum defense squad. Everyone claims a quality camera is unnecessary for the iPad and yell how we should use our P&S, DSLR or Camcorders. But nobody mentions that iMovie requires a very specific file format and resolution. So unless you shoot only with the iPhone 4 (which I dont), the only way to use footage taken with our DSLR's is to dump it to the computer, convert it, then send it to the iPad for iMovie. :eek:

In the end I simply don't use iMovie because it's not worth the time just to end up with a high quality video production with low quality video quality. (And I suspect for this reason there will be many more iMovie purchases then actual movies produced with it)

Oh and I having tried the USB camera dongle adapter, just the SD Card one. I just connect it, insert the SD card, and then it asks to import the photos with an option to delete the imported photos from the card. And when you connect the iPad to your Mac, you can import on iPhoto as you do with other photos taken with it. I'm pretty sure the full resolution gets downloaded to the iPad. I haven't tried using RAW though.
Hows the speed on the transfer? I had the CCC last gen but sold it due to the transfer speed off a 10x SDHC to be surprisingly slow. Im buying one again if its a faster transfer speed but its possible the limitation is in the device itself.

BTW. For those looking for more connections, Check this out.
5-in-1 Connection Kit

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
This is a big gripe I have with Apple and their forum defense squad. Everyone claims a quality camera is unnecessary for the iPad and yell how we should use our P&S, DSLR or Camcorders. But nobody mentions that iMovie requires a very specific file format and resolution. So unless you shoot only with the iPhone 4 (which I dont), the only way to use footage taken with our DSLR's is to dump it to the computer, convert it, then send it to the iPad for iMovie. :eek:

In the end I simply don't use iMovie because it's not worth the time just to end up with a high quality video production with low quality video quality. (And I suspect for this reason there will be many more iMovie purchases then actual movies produced with it)

Hows the speed on the transfer? I had the CCC last gen but sold it due to the transfer speed off a 10x SDHC to be surprisingly slow. Im buying one again if its a faster transfer speed but its possible the limitation is in the device itself.

BTW. For those looking for more connections, Check this out.
5-in-1 Connection Kit

what do u mean last gen. are u talking about the ipad or camera connection kit because i thought the camera connection kit was the same. i thought they didnt update it

russr

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
What format does iMovie need to be able to edit movies? I'm guessing not DV-AVI or anything that a camcorder would record?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.