Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Is there a code i can use or something

Im already using the tv & cable buttons on the remote, but aux button is available

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Sorry I am not at home to check this, but can't the AppleTV learn remotes? A quick search shows this feature having been added with firmware 2.3. So, you could simply program the Aux button of your Comcast remote with a code for any device (preferably one you do not have so it does not interfere with any of your other equipment) then use the learning functionality of the AppleTV to learn the buttons of your choosing from the Comcast remote.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
A Harmony remote can control both your Comcast box and your Apple TV. If you want to get really flashy, you can get a high-end Harmony that is RF (i.e. doesn't need line of sight to work), so you can hide all your boxes away.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
if you have a iDevice, the xfinity app should be able to change the channel on your box, and apples remote can control the apple tv....

grawk

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
Southern York County, PA
You should definitely be able to tell the appletv to use your comcast remote. Just go to the setup menu under remotes, and click "Other Remotes" and then train it. I did basically the same thing with my vizio remote. I have only tried it with the appletv 2.

posnera

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
You can train the AppleTV but there is one catch. The OK button in the center seems to always be tied to the cable box, even when you have AUX selected. I don't have the remote right in front of me, but I think I used the Menu button for enter and the info button for back. Arrows work fine, as do the play/pause/rew/ff. As long as you remember where you put enter and back, you should be fine.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Pretty much any remote can be used to control the Apple TV. It doesn't even have to be a universal remote. The Apple TV is actually able to learn the commands of the remote. Go into the settings to set it up.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Wow took 2 minutes to do this

I can save the apple remote back in the box

Everything is working fine except the next chapter button , i had to use another diff button on the comcast remote, i need to remember that

The ok/select button works great, i can shut the apple tv on & off

Just like on the apple remote i use the menu button on the comcast remote

This is the cheap universal remote alternative lol

Wheeler

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
Absolutely- I have done this with all my comcast remotes and appleTV's and is the main way I control them.

The trick is- you have to pre-program the aux button on the comcast remote as a device that you dont have (like a random dvd player) so the signals dont get crossed- then when u select aux, all the buttons will only control the aTV and no other devices.

Once you setup the comast aux button, just teach the aTV the buttons and it works great.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Absolutely- I have done this with all my comcast remotes and appleTV's and is the main way I control them.

The trick is- you have to pre-program the aux button on the comcast remote as a device that you dont have (like a random dvd player) so the signals dont get crossed- then when u select aux, all the buttons will only control the aTV and no other devices.

Once you setup the comast aux button, just teach the aTV the buttons and it works great.

Thanks i have apple tv in hdmi 2

So when i return back to cable in hdmi 1 i was recording things

I guess aux was working as the cable button still

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
I spoke too soon
The ok/select button on comcast still works with the cable
Even after i made aux a dvd player code

I guess ill have to use another bottom for ok/select

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
I spoke too soon
The ok/select button on comcast still works with the cable
Even after i made aux a dvd player code

I guess ill have to use another bottom for ok/select

There still may be a way to un-tie the OK button from the cable box. There is a similar programming command that can allow the volume controls to work separately with different devices or to just control volume on an a/v receiver or TV, so I'd imagine you could do the same with the OK button. Check this out, the commands are probably buried in this reference somewhere: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Programming_the_Remote. Look for "Disable Global Volume Lock" and try applying that code to the OK button instead.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I setup my Logitech Harmony to control the apple tv. The only quirk I noticed was if I was using the remote to control the FiOS DVR box, the arrow keys still sent a signal to the Apple TV which would wake it up...

I guess I gotta reprogram it..

Jewel2D

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
Making your Comcast/Xfinity/Motorola remote work with the Apple TV (Generation 2/3)

#*Step By Step Instruction*

##Set Apple TV to Aux Keys
--
Press Aux (Device) Button
Hold Setup Key until Aux Button Blinks Twice
Type in code 31115 (Aux Button will blink twice, if it is a long blink try last three steps again)

##Fix Play and Pause Keys
--
Hold Setup Key again until Aux Button Blinks Twice
Type in code 994 (Aux Button will blink twice, if it is a long blink try last two steps again)
Press (Do Not Hold) Setup Key
Type in code 00234
Press Play (Aux Button will blink twice, if it is a long blink try last five steps again)
Repeat the immediately above five steps, but replace Play with the Pause Key. (This is unnecessary, as the play and pause key are the same on the Apple TV remote, but some people like the buttons to make sense.)

You can copy the Menu key to any other key by doing the following:
Type in code 994 (Aux Button will blink twice, if it is a long blink try last two steps again)
Press Menu Key
Press Key you with to behave like the Menu Key. (I do it to the Guide, Exit and Last Key)

--

#Advanced Stuff

Apple TV Device Code - 3115

EFC Codes:
Arrow Up - 29678
Arrow Down - 28910
Arrow Left/Rewind - 28142
Arrow Right/FF - 62190
Ok /Select - 60654
Menu/Settings - 61422
Play/Pause - 00234

Last edited:

jimk1963

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
Apple TV programmed on Aux but no TV volume control

Followed procedure below, Comcast remote now controls A-TV perfectly. Setup is just a TV/cable box/A-TV so need TV volume control on both AUX and CABLE. For some reason, after running the instructions below, AUX doesn't control the TV volume. I've tried global volume unlock / global volume lock, didn't work. Tried re-programming the TV input since TV volume is supposed to default to both CABLE and AUX, that didn't work either. Tried

1) Press Setup until 2 blinks
2) Enter 993 (2 blinks)
3 Tap TV (should get 2 blinks)

That didn't work either. Wondering if I need to reset the entire remote (how?) or what? Or, is there a way to ASSIGN the TV volume control to AUX manually so I don't have to reset the remote? Frustrating!

#*Step By Step Instruction*

##Set Apple TV to Aux Keys
--
Press Aux (Device) Button
Hold Setup Key until Aux Button Blinks Twice
Type in code 31115 (Aux Button will blink twice, if it is a long blink try last three steps again)

##Fix Play and Pause Keys
--
Press (Do Not Hold) Setup Key
Type in code 00234
Press Play (Aux Button will blink twice, if it is a long blink try last five steps again)
Repeat the immediately above five steps, but replace Play with the Pause Key. (This is unnecessary, as the play and pause key are the same on the Apple TV remote, but some people like the buttons to make sense.)

You can copy the Menu key to any other key by doing the following:
Press Menu Key
Press Key you with to behave like the Menu Key. (I do it to the Guide, Exit and Last Key)

--

#Advanced Stuff

Apple TV Device Code - 3115

EFC Codes:
Arrow Up - 29678
Arrow Down - 28910
Arrow Left/Rewind - 28142
Arrow Right/FF - 62190
Ok /Select - 60654
Menu/Settings - 61422
Play/Pause - 00234

Jewel2D

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
I used the punch through command. This sets the remote buttons to only control the desired device regardless of the device the remote is currently set to control.

Hold Setup (a device button will blink twice)

Enter 984

Press device button of device you want to control (the TV in this case)

Press keys you always want to control desired device (both volume buttons in this case)

Press device buttons of the other devices (Cable and AUX in this case)

Hold Setup until a device light flashes

(Note: Doing this second time will override the first)

xgarfield

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2015
Is there a code i can use or something

Im already using the tv & cable buttons on the remote, but aux button is available

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201856 -

don't use any codes!!! Use the app built into the Apple TV. This will let you use ←↑→↓, "ok" button for enter/play/pause and "info" button for menu key

if you programmed using the above users instructions reset "AUX" by:

Press "Aux" key once

Press and hold the “Setup” key until "AUX" blinks twice

Enter the code 9-8-0

device key will blink four times confirming the reset successful.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201856

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.