Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Toshiba announced today that they would increase their spending on semiconductors by 13 percent for the current business year. This will accelerate their output of flash memory chips. The increased demand for flash memory is at past partially attributed to the recently released iPod Shuffle from Apple.

According to Masashi Muromachi, Toshiba's Corporate Vice President, "demand create by this new machine [iPod Shuffle] is so vast that our current capacity can in no way meet their [Apple's] needs."

Apple's iPod Shuffle was released on Jan 11th, 2005.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
i think this is great to show that apple is creating a larger market for flash producers. also it goes to show that apple is one of the largest consumers of flash drives, and it reflects in the amount of sales. Way to go with great inavative ideas!

chevyorange

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2004
Washington State
drewyboy said:
i think this is great to show that apple is creating a larger market for flash producers. also it goes to show that apple is one of the largest consumers of flash drives, and it reflects in the amount of sales. Way to go with great inavative ideas!

That is great to hear a company say that about a product.

Apple is hot, kids!

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
so what was that they said about having something like 500,000 of these things made each month? what are we up to now for iPod Shuffles sold in the US? I know I account for two of them....actually one in my hand and our second on back order through MacMall.....

J-Squire

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Australia
I would happily buy the iPod Poop, as long as it was announced by Steve, and had ads featuring silhoutted dancers with the poop.

The iPod is just hot

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
That is awsome to hear that these are doing so well but then again they have been getting great word of mouth around my town/city.

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks toshiba.
but could anybody help to speedup current supply of Shuffle?
because of shortage, the retail price have generally been marked up to 150% of original price :mad:

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
I wonder how total iPod sales will look this quater now with the iPod Shuffle in the mix? . . . . . one can only dream of the numbers . . . . .

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
stephenli said:
Thanks toshiba.
because of shortage, the retail price have generally been marked up to 150% of original price :mad:

*shrug* I got two on order for free from my PC Mall rep for a special promotion they were running; and their online store still lists it at normal price. Stop looking at shady distribution centers and you won't see the 150% hike.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
I want an iPod shuffle. Why? I have no idea. I don't need one. Damn you Steve, putting out products I don't even need but want nonetheless!

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
LaMerVipere said:
I want an iPod shuffle. Why? I have no idea. I don't need one. Damn you Steve, putting out products I don't even need but want nonetheless!

i said the same thing until i played with one. to me, it just wasn't as cool in real life as i thought it would be.

ThePreacherMan

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2004
Southern Arizona
A fad? I think Not!!!

I purchased My first iPod shuffle the day they were announced so that I might have a simple light weight MP3 player to take to the gym. I loved it so much that I purchased three more for members of my family. They arrived today. Might have to buy a few more for close friends. Napster, Dell, and the rest of the scepticle, sit back and watch the iPod revolution take over!

Now that preaches!!!!

iPod Mini
4 iPod Shuffles
The new Mac Mini
A G5 1.8 ghz tower
and a Power Book

ThePreacherMan

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2004
Southern Arizona
Order through Apple.com!!!

stephenli said:
Thanks toshiba.

It took 3 weeks to get three shuffles sent to my house. They said four but it was closer to 2 and a half.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Go Apple.

Next bit of amazing news: Apple sells gazillion Mac Minis; market share explodes; Apple buys out Microsoft and promptly cancels Windows. World peace ensues.

xtremdav45

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2003
I was at the Apple Store last week and I tried out the iPod shuffle, and I didnt like it. It is too small for me, and the lack of screen sucks.

I like my "Full Sized" iPod WAY better.

My brother on the other hand, doesnt have a digital music player, and cant wait for his birthday so he can get a shuffle, so I guess he isnt the only person who likes it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.