Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:57 PM   #1
ImAliveUK
macrumors member

Strange display problem - quite annoying!

Hi there

I have just purchased a new MBA 11 from the US and the first thing i noticed was the display had a strange display problem and wondered if anyone could shed some light on it before I take it to the Genius Bar!

I have no idea how to explain it!

There is a very minor issue - but noticeable as I have never seen it on any of my other displays on laptops.

Every so often, the screen looks as if is is covered in diagonal lines (both directions) and is also noticeable when moving an open window.

Anyone else had this problem?

The picture I'm posting is the closest I can find to visually explain the problem.

Any help would be most appreciated!

K
Attached Images

ImAliveUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Kornelis
macrumors newbie

I have also have a problem with the screen since a couple of days, don't know if it's the same. On my screen the left half is lighter than the right half. It is clearly visible when the machine boots up. Besides the difference in colour I also see some slight flickering on the right side. When I use the MBA the difference in colour will become hardly noticeable from time to time, but after a while the difference is back. I'm planning to bring it back to the store on Thursday. I bought my MBA 11 in December.
Kornelis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:14 AM   #3
jinxednuance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornelis View Post
I have also have a problem with the screen since a couple of days, don't know if it's the same. On my screen the left half is lighter than the right half. It is clearly visible when the machine boots up. Besides the difference in colour I also see some slight flickering on the right side. When I use the MBA the difference in colour will become hardly noticeable from time to time, but after a while the difference is back. I'm planning to bring it back to the store on Thursday. I bought my MBA 11 in December.
Screen problem here as well.
jinxednuance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:27 AM   #4
GekkePrutser
macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure about the diagonal lines, but a review by the C'T magazine in the Netherlands mentioned that the 11" screen wasn't lit very uniformly. This magazine is very technical so they used a light meter and they found that the bottom-right hand corner of the 11" screen was significantly less bright than the top left (if I recall correctly it was around 80cd/m^2 lower).

If I can find the magazine I'll translate that part of the review. Just saying it might be a flaw in the screen model in general, not a specific one.
GekkePrutser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Kornelis
macrumors newbie

My MBA is back again, they replaced the LCD screen (display module, 661-5737) because it was defective and now the display is looking normal again.

Last edited by Kornelis; Mar 28, 2011 at 11:10 AM.
Kornelis is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air