Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
Can a mod tell me if any of you guys resized my signature by putting the lines of text one of top of another with no line breaks in between? I had it with spaces because it was easier to read, and I wonder how it got changed. I don't want to put the spaces back if you don't want them there. ;) I run a forum myself and know mods do things for good reasons. Please let me know.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Basically we don't like the signatures being too big, because they can be distracting. I didn't personally change it, but it looks like one of the other mods did.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ive heard of the mod's resizing a sig because it was too long, they dont want them to dominate the threads, makes it more to scroll through as well, from what i understand at least

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
seems like a user's post should always be longer than their signature... i feel guilty about my signature sometimes and it's only a couple words :cool:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The long signatures distract from short posts, if you want to have a longer signature -- please use the [size] tags to shink the size of the text.

Usually helps if you are going to do a one liner with a multiline sig to also turn off the signature for that post. There is a check box on the post reply page under Additional Options.

Just makes it easier for people to read your reply.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks for the replies. Now that I know, I'm going to shrink it even more. Long sigs are annoying and I won't be one of them... Thanks again. :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
SteveC said:
Thanks for the replies. Now that I know, I'm going to shrink it even more. Long sigs are annoying and I won't be one of them... Thanks again. :)

even though im not a mod, thank you for understanding, its good to have members that understand and are willing to learn like yourself than people who get bent out of shape over the little things

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If a signature is too long but we can make it fit within the guidelines by removing blank lines or combining lines with semicolons (such as when people list their computer specs one line at a time), we usually don't notify the member, since there are always more pressing issues waiting for our attention.

Otherwise, we notify members that their signature size is a problem by Private Message. If they don't have Private Messages enabled, however, we delete the signature or abbreviate it some other way without notification.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
PlaceofDis said:
even though im not a mod, thank you for understanding, its good to have members that understand and are willing to learn like yourself than people who get bent out of shape over the little things
Not a problem. I want a clean, crisp forum as much as anyone, so I'm glad this was brought to my attention. Now my sig is even shorter than the mod made it, and also half the size of the limit. :) (3 lines instead of 6) Plus the text is small.

Dr. Q - Thanks for the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.