Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
FWIW, thats about how much most fully covering ipad cases cost.. within the $50-60 range.I have the pixelskin HD case for my iphone 4 and its awesome, looking forward to see how this one comes out.

msk12

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Speck customer support is very good also. I had a candy shell for the 3g/3gs which ended up cracking and they let me swap it out for a different case for the iPhone4. This looks like the case I've been waiting for.

fishcube

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Iowa
Says stays closed with micro suction, doesn't sound like magnetic closure and nothing about sleep/wake function. Bummer!

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
FWIW, thats about how much most fully covering ipad cases cost.. within the $50-60 range.I have the pixelskin HD case for my iphone 4 and its awesome, looking forward to see how this one comes out.

I realize it might be the "going rate" for something like this, but IMO many iPad accessories were overpriced from the start (the crappy Quirky Cloak, and Belkin Grip Vue are a great examples). Per the website it's made of TPU, so basically its a TPU case with a cover. I stated in another thread I think brand name TPU cases should be closer to $20, then I would price this at $30. Regardless what I think, people are going to gobble iPad cases no matter what the price (me included).

Don't get me wrong. I like this case and if it turns out to be as good as it looks, i'll pay the price.

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
I realize it might be the "going rate" for something like this, but IMO many iPad accessories were overpriced from the start (the crappy Quirky Cloak, and Belkin Grip Vue are a great examples). Per the website it's made of TPU, so basically its a TPU case with a cover. I stated in another thread I think brand name TPU cases should be closer to $20, then I would price this at $30. Regardless what I think, people are going to gobble iPad cases no matter what the price (me included).

Don't get me wrong. I like this case and if it turns out to be as good as it looks, i'll pay the price.

I agree, they started the prices way too high for these cases and now its pretty much standard.. but what can you do.

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I guess they're only worth what people are willing to pay. If nobody buys it they will stop producing it or lower the price.

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
They started with the iPhone and I imagine the conversation went something like this:

"How much should we charge for this [plastic iPad 1 case]?"

"Well... A similar version for the iPhone goes for $35. Let's go with $50. It's like 6Xs the material- they'll actually think they're getting a deal."

"Brilliant!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.