Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:57 PM   #1
untype
macrumors newbie

Light Bleed - Screen MBA 13 - Anyone Else?

Hi All,

Today was the first day I tried out my MBA 13 with netflix. I watched a quite dark movie and I was irritated to find that the bottom of my screen has light bleeding through. It's quite annoying while watching a full screen movie.

Does anyone else have this problem?? See the picture below. Does apple allow returns for this type of issue or is this relatively normal?

untype is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:37 PM   #2
klover
macrumors 6502a

Had backlight bleeding on right/left side of 11". Ended up selling it but it was quite annoying when I had darker wallpapers, screens, etc. running.

When I complained to Apple about it (and a minor nick it came with) they gave me $160 +tax back.
klover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 05:41 AM   #3
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to mgartner0622
Returns depend on how long you've had it...
it does look pretty bad, so i'd at least take it into the genius bar.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:19 AM   #4
Scottsdale
macrumors 601

Don't accept that as it's defective. Get a replacement and don't accept no or a partial payment to be quiet as you will always be disappointed. I have had perfect displays on my newest Gen MBAs and all that I have seen of others have been great. This does happen however and they should give you a new MBA. If within 14 days get a brand new one in the box. Otherwise it's a refurbished unit.

Good luck. You deserve better.
Scottsdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:02 AM   #5
untype
macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks all. I'm actually inside the 30 day window so I can definitely return it which I think I will probably do. Do you think if I took it to the genius bar, they could just pop in a new screen or do you think they'll do a total replacement? The chassis is great and I'm not so lucky when it comes to replacements. I played the return game with apple a few years ago with the iphone and it was like russian roulette (i.e. return a phone with a skewed screen for one with dead pixels etc )

Anyway, thanks for all your advice and its good to know that others think its a legit problem. It annoyed the hell out of me last night when watching daywalkers which is quite a dark film.

Incidentally, I've heard that the new ipad 2 is having bleed problems too. Just out of curiosity, is light bleeding a case problem or a screen manufacture problem?
untype is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air