Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkeruski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
My ipad 2 seems to have developed a white spot on the screen. I just noticed this today. I had previously looked it over with a fine tooth comb, and this spot was not here. It is located in the upper right corner. Sorry, couldn't figure out how to circle it on iphoto.

Anyway, went to Best Buy (where I bought it last Friday) and of course they have none in stock. Said I could order a new one for a deposit of $100, but would have to return the one I have now. No thanks.

I called Apple, and they directed me to an Apple store. Problem is it's 220 miles away.

Couple of questions. First, if I return it to the Apple store, will they take care of the problem (by exchange or new order) even though I bought it at BB? Second, do the Apple stores keep inventory of each model solely for exchanges involving defective units? I know that won't have any in stock for normal purchase. If there is a chance of an exchange on the spot, may take the family on a little weekend excursion.;)

IpadPhot.jpg

shadrap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Mayberry
I have one dead pixel and bought it at best buy. I am debating the same thing. Will wait and see what is replied.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
I have this same thing but smaller. You can't see it at all on a black bg.. very odd.... I was wondering if it was some extra of whatever they bond the screen with and might possibly dissapear over time.

In any case it's not something I'll bother returning it over, don't notice it most of the time. Smaller though.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
My iPad 2 has this as well near the home button but you can't really notice it unless there's white on the screen in the area of the spot, in addition to a dead pixel located about 1/3 of the way up from the home button. Neither is easily noticeable upon a casual glance. It doesn't bother me all that much yet, but I'm waiting for all of this crap to quiet down (whenever the hell that is) before I bring it to the Apple store I got it from to see if they'll exchange it.

conshok26

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
same issue here. i also have a bit of the backlight bleed. I have an appointment with a genius this saturday. I'll see if they have any replacements and if it looks better then the one i currently have i'll take it if it's worse i'll give it some time before i try another swap.

madmac67

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
White spot on iPad 2

I just got back from the apple store as I also have a white spot visible only on white pages. They told me it is because the iPad 2 was shipped directly from the manufacture to Best Buy and the adhesive has not dried yet. Apple is sending letters out on this and if the spot does not go away in 30 days that they will replace it. They indicate the fact that I went in within 14 days on my account. The replacements will be refurbished units. They can not make any repairs in the apple stores. Disappointing to have this issue after pay over $800 for this unit but I will wait as I do not want to be without it.

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
i purchased mine from BB.

lots of backlight leak, took it in and they ordered me a replacement.

they said it should take 5-8days but i got it next day.

still leak, but a lot less. i'll keep it till problem solved.

dhemp

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
I had the exact same problem - a small white blotch on the upper left corner of the screen of my iPad 2. Took it into my local Apple Store this morning and they swapped it for a new one, no questions asked.

That said, my screen looked fine on the day I picked it up (Friday the 25th). The spot only caught my eye last night, after I'd been using the product for 2days. Seems possible that these little imperfections can pop up at any time, which is disconcerting, though perhaps not technically surprising or preventable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.