Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:28 PM   #1
shaunmorelli
macrumors newbie

Application Issues

Hi,

So i have my home directory on an external hard drive along with all my libraries for iphoto, aperture itunes ect... When the hard drive is plugged into my desktop computer i can open all applications fine and the libraries show up, safari saves my bookmarks ect.. However when my external HD is plugged into my macbook pro ( logged on to the same home directory) every time i open one of the above apps i have to select the library every time i open the app by holding option when i open them, otherwise a message pops up that says a library cannot be created ect... same with safari the welcome animation comes up every time and all my bookmarks will have been deleted since the last time i opened safari (Also the message that a keychain cannot be found to store "safari" frequently pops up while browsing). The same goes for every other application whenever i open them they act as if it's the first time i'm opening them. This has become very frustrating. I have checked that i have permission on the external HD and what not. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
shaunmorelli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:53 PM   #2
shaunmorelli
macrumors newbie

also something that might help is that when i'm on the laptop it adds a 1 in path name of the external hard drive in all apps that try to access it. i think thtas the problem but i don't know how to get rid of it.
shaunmorelli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:16 PM   #3
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

That would be the problem. Most likely, you have a duplicate folder in the /Volumes directory because you launched an app while the external HDD was not connected and that app created the directory it was looking for (ie: /Volumes/extHDD/Library/) where "extHDD" is the name of your external HDD. So when you plug in the real one, there's already a folder of that name in /Volumes so it appends a 1 to the name so they don't conflict. The solution is to delete that folder, and you'll have to get to /Volumes directly.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Tags
applications, external hard drive, iphoto, itunes library