Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Any details? Do you have to pay to use it?

As far as I know this is (at&t) requires the 4GB/mo dada package. Once you establish the tethered connection, another device can join the wireless tethering through wifi (not sure of limit) or bluethooth.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Depending on where you live (looks like you are in the UK?) the hotspot functionality may or may not cost you. In the USA you have to pay extra, here in Australia I believe all carriers (I know that at least mine do) offer tethering and hotspot for no added cost.

As for how it works, it's a simple process in Settings where you turn on Personal Hotspot, add a password, and (in my case, apparently there may be different limits for different carriers) up to three Wi-Fi devices can access your 3G connection over Wi-Fi, usable for whatever purpose.

These devices will act as though they were connected to any other Wi-Fi hotspot, even to the point where certain iPad apps requiring a Wi-Fi connection and not working over 3G have been shown to work properly when connected to an iPhone hotspot, even though technically it is running over a 3G network.

Hope that explains it for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.