Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
I just noticed that the new MacUpdate bundle is out. It looks really good to me even though I already own Parallels, 1Password, DVDRemaster, and MDRP. The other stuff looks interesting though. I am thinking about buying and giving my daughter what I already have.

I'm curious what others are going to do and the experience others have had with the offerings, specifically TechTool Pro, App Tamer, MacUpdate Desktop, and A Better Finder Rename.

I am extremely satisfied with Parallels, 1Password, and MDRP and think this package is well worth the money, even for just those 3.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
One of the most solid bundles I have seen from MacUpdate or MacHeist

I use VMware Fusion, but this might be enough to tempt me to test Parallels
This price for Parallels alone is worth it

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, I agree this is the best bundle I've ever seen. I'm with MacDawg on parallels. I used to use it but found it too buggy. I wonder of 6 is much better. Given the other apps, its probably worth it at this point.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The thing about this bundle is it is so good, many people will already have several of these Apps. But even then, one app like Parallels can make it worth it. But for those who don't have Mac DVDRipper Pro or 1Password... they should jump on this. I have heard a lot of talk about Better Finder Rename, but have never felt the need for it. Might give it a try now.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
All I use is Parallels 6. I tried Fusion but Parallels was faster for me, so I went back. I am in college and use XP for Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Oracle, Notepad++, and also Quicken, and I have no complaints at all.

MDRP so far has ripped everything I have tried.

I don't think I could live without 1Password.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
All I use is Parallels 6. I tried Fusion but Parallels was faster for me, so I went back.
I'll not disagree with the fact that parallels is faster, but for my needs I don't need blazing speed but rock solid stability.

I use windows to access my work network, so I'm using office apps, and accessing servers via RDP. I also use windows for quickbooks as I'm the treasurer of my church. None of these apps needs great openGL speed or directx. What they do require is stability and my usage of parallels in the past was frustrating due to its bugginess and poor support. VMware has always handled my tickets quickly.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
I have found Parallels 6 to be MUCH more stable. It hasn't crashed on me in months. However, I have had to exit out of coherence mode on occasion. I just installed 2GB more RAM in my MBP, and that has helped considerably with the speed. MacDawg bought Fusion for me, but I was disappointed in it. (I think that was about a year ago.)

After reading through threads about both Parallels and Fusion, they are very comparable. To get Parallels in this bundle certainly makes it worth looking into.

I have used Name Mangler to do renames and have been pretty happy with it. I don't do much renaming but on the few occasions I have needed to do a batch rename it has been an invaluable tool. I will test A Better Finder Rename. I love playing with new software.

LesaneParish

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Hey there!

very kind of you, could I grab 1Password please?

And possible DVD remaster pro aswell would be great!

cheers

LesaneParish

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Oh and i'd love to get the windows version of 1password!

cheers,

BTW not sure how I go about PMing you as there doesn't seem to be an option present for that??

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm done with these app bundles. Al they end up doing is cluttering my Apps folder. Shrug.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I love these bundles, and yeah, I typically buy them for one item! This one I may pass on, because I use VMWare Fusion for work and I have Parallels 4 for home (but haven't used it in over a year).

I already own 1Password, MacUpdate, and DVD Remaster Pro. I own Ripit, so I don't think I need the DVDRipper2; and I almost always buy my games via Steam when on sale, and I might have purchased CivIV last Christmas. :D

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
BE AWARE!

When you buy this bundle you get a 6 month subscription to MacUpdate which will auto-renew (and bill your credit card).

You need to manually turn off the auto-update setting.

This will happen to you even if you don't install the MacUpdate Desktop part of the bundle.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
BE AWARE!

When you buy this bundle you get a 6 month subscription to MacUpdate which will auto-renew (and bill your credit card).

This will happen to you even if you don't install the MacUpdate Desktop part of the bundle.
I appreciate the head's up on this! I just turned it off. It was set to auto-renew just as you said.

Edit: this looks like an email subscription though. Hmmmm.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-17 at 5.25.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-17 at 5.25.04 PM.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
BE AWARE!

I saw that in another thread. I'll be turning that off in my account profile shortly. Thanks for the heads up though.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
Other Bundles: http://goo.gl/EKTXv

Of note, I think, is that the Nova Bundle includes TechTool Pro v6.x while the Macpdate Bundle contains TechTool Pro v5.x.

And, FWIW, Nova claims that all software is the full and latest version.

Alas, I do not need/want most of want's offered.

edincoat

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Parallels 6

Parallels 6 is vastly superior to the previous two versions, in my experience. It still isn't what I would like for gaming, but is very close.

GamerDad

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Im not sure if the deal is still going on, but they are including 2 more pieces of software - Secret of Monkey Island (you have to sign up for the daily newsletter), and QuickPick (you have to tweet their deal). I am a Mac newb, just got my first one, so 1 Password, and Parallels for $50 was an easy one for e. All the rest is gravy, and Secret of Monkey Island, I can never get enough of, so the pot just got sweetened...

Using the Mac Update does not seem to be a great thing - it was wrong about a number of applications. Not sure what the utility will be especially for a subscription. Apps I use frequently I am usually looking for updates anyways..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.