Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I have seen on this forum a few people mention that they have watched 1080p videos on youtube, so I decided to try it.

I tried to watch this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA378g_gD1I

On both chrome and safari(with the most up to date flash) and it lags. Does anyone know why this is happening? Does it happen to you? I have hardware acceleration on, but it is not smooth at all and it lags.

Nachos

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Lynge, Denmark
I have and MBA 13" and no acceleration on. It doesn't lag at all on mine, its perfectly smooth. Could be your internet maybe?

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I have pretty fast internet here at school, which is where I am testing it.

Regardless, the video is fully downloaded so the internet doesn't really matter, which is why I am wondering if I should change something? I have the 4gb one and I am using chrome. tried it on safari as well and it also chopped up. Also tried it with hardware acceleration off.

Nachos

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Lynge, Denmark
okay, are you running anything in the background? i have MBA Ultimate and haven't changed a thing on it performance wise. works in both safari and chrome for me. :/

danielveeee

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
i was watching youtube last night and after about 10 minutes my fans started kicking in really loud.
is this usual or is somethhing wrong??

emx620

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
I have seen on this forum a few people mention that they have watched 1080p videos on youtube, so I decided to try it.

On both chrome and safari(with the most up to date flash) and it lags. Does anyone know why this is happening? Does it happen to you? I have hardware acceleration on, but it is not smooth at all and it lags.

I just tried this video out on my 13" 4GB Air and it plays fine with no lag or stuttering in Chrome. CPU shows around 20-30% utilization.

WiseDuck

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
Base 11" model here. No dropped frames, no lag. 30% cpu usage!

any try a 1080P mkv file to see if it is viewable in VLC.

I tried a 9gb 1080p Blu-ray rip of Sherlock Holmes earlier today. Viewed it on an external display too, extended desktop.

No lag whatsoever, about 50-60% CPU usage with VLC player. (Actually, it said 100-120%, but in OSX the percentage goes all the way up to 200% for some reason. So it only used a bit over half of the CPU.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Just tried that on my 1.86GHz 13". Plays without any issues. OP, is your Flash Player up-to-date? Try installing the latest version and then reboot and give it another try. Also, make sure your Safari is up-to-date.

i was watching youtube last night and after about 10 minutes my fans started kicking in really loud.
is this usual or is somethhing wrong??

That is pretty normal. Happens to me too.

No lag whatsoever, about 50-60% CPU usage with VLC player. (Actually, it said 100-120%, but in OSX the percentage goes all the way up to 200% for some reason. So it only used a bit over half of the CPU.)

That is because your CPU has two cores. In Activity Monitor, it reports the processes per CPU core so 100% usage means one core is maxed out. With e.g. 12-core Mac Pro, the maximum CPU usage is 2400% (Hyper-Threading; each core supports two threads).

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Uninstall your Flash, and install latest "stable" version (10.2.152.33 as of now), which has GPU acceleration.

Last edited:

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
I have the 11 inch with 2gb ram and played it perfectly fine without any stutter what so ever. I just go this and didn't try out 1080p vids from youtube till now.

joehahn

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
CT
why bother watching something in 1080p on a screen that doesn't even support that resolution?

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010

I found that with my 13" MBP from last year that any for of HD flash video caused slowdown so that it was unwatchable.

A quick download of AdBlocker Plus fixes everything, as it blocks the flash ads on the website, freeing up resources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.