Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
So I signed up for Google Adwords a couple weeks ago. Point Per Click paying...My ads are about $4 per click. I have been monitoring who is clicking them from another site that shows me the IP address of who clicked and the time. A lot of the people end up clicking to my site 3 or even 4 times in a row. I presume that their browser is slow or something so they just keep clicking it.....The problem with this is if they click it 4 times I end up paying $16 for the same person to get to my page!!!!! This is insane...I have looked around but can see now way to avoid this.Google doesn't care because they get even more money haha....I should be able to limit 1 or 2 clicks to each IP per day or something similar. Anyone know of any way to avoid this scam?

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
OK I read that page (thanks) and I know all that stuff. I have also seen no refunds and doubt that I will. How would they find my site out of the 123408712804712084710284 sites they have? I thought Adwords was a great idea but now I think otherwise and will be quitting it I guess.

ken138888

macrumors newbie

clamchowderz

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Mountain View
The refunds are not instantaneous, they usually happen at the end of the month. I've been refunded before.
Have you looked into negative keywords? If you're 3-4 clicks are coming from all the same keywords, you may rethink bidding on that keyword...

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
No, they are needed keywords that are bringing traffic. The problem is I get 3-4 click within the same minute from some people sometimes. I am guessing the are refreshing their browser or something. I guess I will wait and see if I get refunded. I called google about it but the line was so busy I never got through...I will try again. If they had an option of how many clicks per day by each IP that would rule. That option should be available to paying customers I think.

macmikey2

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
West Chester, PA
So I signed up for Google Adwords a couple weeks ago. Point Per Click paying...My ads are about $4 per click. I have been monitoring who is clicking them from another site that shows me the IP address of who clicked and the time. A lot of the people end up clicking to my site 3 or even 4 times in a row. I presume that their browser is slow or something so they just keep clicking it.....The problem with this is if they click it 4 times I end up paying $16 for the same person to get to my page!!!!! This is insane...I have looked around but can see now way to avoid this.Google doesn't care because they get even more money haha....I should be able to limit 1 or 2 clicks to each IP per day or something similar. Anyone know of any way to avoid this scam?

Keep in mind some IPs are shared, like cable, or a business. It could actually be 3-4 people at the same office who are all being told 'to look at this guys page'. That would be 4 clicks from one IP.

Even in my house we have an iMac, 2 MBPs, 2 Minis, a handful of other Macs and PCs all connected. If I go to a site on my Mac and then tell my GF to go there as well, it would be 2 clicks from one IP.

May be as simple as that. I think.:rolleyes:

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
You are correct but it is highly unlikely that is what was happening. =) All 4 were within 30 seconds sometimes. I doubt 4 people in a business sat there and synced their clicks to my site exactly, like 007 haha

But still. I'd like to be able to limit the click per 'main IP' per day. I can not afford to pay $16 per 30 seconds. I am a small business starting out. Even IF it was 4 people clicking at the same time I would rather limit to 1 and have 4 different people from different places in the world,be able to click to my site that day for that $16. (@ $4 a click).....Hopefully that makes sense.

Google just doesn't care because either way they get their money. In fact the way they have it now they will probably actually make even more. But their customers will end up quitting Adwords once they figure out what is going on. IF they do.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Sounds like you'd benefit from focusing your money elsewhere as opposed to Adwords. I always say the BEST way to get traffic to your site is make a reason to go there. And I don't mean a reason YOU'D go there, a reason potential customers would.

The cut-and-dry approach would be to offer coupons, give-aways, or offer original content.

And always list your website with anyother advertising as well. You'd be surprised how many of our customers fail to put their URL on a TV commercial.

bogie418

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
google adwords is a rip off

I also feel ripped off.
I have a new webpage so there is not a lot of traffic. Good days i may get 5-7 hits, some days nothing. I use google analytics to monitor traffic.

Ive been getting charged google adwords clicks on the days I have NO TRAFFIC.

Also, some days that I have been charge clicks from adwords I have had 1 click. But the 1 click spent ZERO seconds on my page.

Just this month it happens 4 times at a cost to me of 50 bucks! I dont even want the refund.

Its a rip-off, plain and simple

eiger3970

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
Hi, I'm getting ripped off massively by Google Adwords.
I ordered 2 x $20 for 1 week of ads for my YouTube channel videos about 6 months ago and it went well.
I ordered 2 x $20 for 1 week of ads for my YouTube channel videos 2 weeks ago and adwords are charging me like $600!

The adwords purchase was very difficult and amongst the confusion adwords are saying I ordered the wrong product (convenient for adwords).

They should have proper ordering that's crystal clear with no confusion or ambiguity.
I normal business this would be unethical sales and a full refund would be ordered.

I have tried 2 times for Google adwords to cancel the server and they won't. The customer service a very sharp and dodgy and know how to take advantage of you and not help out at all.

I had to call my bank to cancel the credit card and issue a new credit card.

I submitted a complaint form to Google adwords, no reply.

In a battle now to make adwords refund the $560...fraudulent business...don't risk it.

Last edited:

kggf

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
Sounds like a bad place, better find another place to ad your website. I am sure there are many out there, what about facebook adds or twitter... If they do them now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.