Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unispherephoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
yesterday my ac adapter for my pb died. i had to immediately get a new one since my batteries were not charged and i needed to be online for many hours anyway.

the only one available (in my price range) was a 65 watt version, so i got it. i know may old one was a 45 watt and other people had recommended the 45W...im i getting myself in trouble by using the 65W?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Well, if you've used it and haven't fried your iBook already, you're fine. The additional wattage will just go unused. Some adapters will fry a system if they push too much amperage, and others will feed it only if needed.

Still, there's a chance that a regulator on your iBook is now dumping a ton of extra power directly out as heat because the adapter is feeding too much into the box. If your iBook acts the same and isn't suddenly glowing red-hot, you're probably OK.

If you haven't plugged it in yet, though, I'd be wary. You might be just fine, and you might end up with a nice white paperweight in about a tenth of a second.

unispherephoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
powerbook seems fine after a day..no hotter than normal..
there are differences in the voltage in/out and amperage between my old adapter and the new one though. (according to the labels)

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
Apple no longer sell the 45W adapter as a retail item, they expect you to use the 65W.

I use a 65W adapter on iBook all the time. They are designed to work together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.