Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Help Please
macrumors regular

Refurbished vs. Used resale?

How much does refurbished over used affect the resale price of a 13" MBA Ultimate?

Just wondering if there was a huge difference between the two.
Help Please is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:34 PM   #2
slapguts
macrumors 6502a

Refurbished come straight from Apple, and are flawless. The 1 year of AppleCare also starts from the day of purchase, so it could be a couple months worth.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:04 AM   #3
stockscalper
macrumors 6502a

Get a refurb. You won't be able to tell the difference in a new one, plus you'll get the full warranty and be eligible for Applecare.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:28 AM   #4
hfg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Help Please View Post
How much does refurbished over used affect the resale price of a 13" MBA Ultimate?

Just wondering if there was a huge difference between the two.
I think previous responders missed that you were referring to "resale" value of either new or refurbished machines.

I would think it would depend on the time frame you were trying to sell it in. Ideally, it shouldn't really matter to the buyer as either machine would be "used" at sell time since you used it. The origin of the machine probably wouldn't even come up other than the fact that the packaging might tip them off. If you sell it pretty quickly, you would have to deal with some buyers who attach a stigma to refurbished equipment and thus devalue it in their mind. As the machine ages, I would think most buyers would be concerned more about the treatment the machine received in YOUR hands, and thus the origin wouldn't matter any more.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:04 PM   #5
JoelMarcey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
I think previous responders missed that you were referring to "resale" value of either new or refurbished machines.

I would think it would depend on the time frame you were trying to sell it in. Ideally, it shouldn't really matter to the buyer as either machine would be "used" at sell time since you used it. The origin of the machine probably wouldn't even come up other than the fact that the packaging might tip them off. If you sell it pretty quickly, you would have to deal with some buyers who attach a stigma to refurbished equipment and thus devalue it in their mind. As the machine ages, I would think most buyers would be concerned more about the treatment the machine received in YOUR hands, and thus the origin wouldn't matter any more.
That was exactly my question. To me, refurbished vs. new when it comes to Apple really makes no difference. Saving money on a refurbished is worth it 99% of the time when it comes to computers.

But, at resale time, you do not have the "pretty box" of the new machine. You have an "ugly white box". I always wondered whether that mattered or not when going to sell it. I suppose you can always try to buy a "pretty box" on eBay or something if you really needed to. So it comes down to whether saving $100-200 on a refurbished will be a detriment at resale time because you don't have the original "pretty box". I doubt it would be a $100-200 detriment.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air