Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:54 AM   #1
maxap
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
iPad 2 Wi-Fi or 3G: reasons not to choose the 3G version

Hey fellow Apple/iPad lovers/haters,


Next week, the new iPad 2 will be released in Europe and I would like to have your opinions on my particular choice of the iPad 2 model.


Well, I decided to buy the 64GB Wi-Fi only version for the following reasons:

- Price: the 3G model is still more expensive than the Wi-Fi one (in addition to that you will have to pay for the 3G abonnement);

- Ugly design of the 3G model: I do not like the black plastic strip on the back of the iPad 2;

- The 3G version is less sturdy: it is quite obvious considering that black plastic strip (many users had issues with the first gen iPad 3G, which had broken strips);

- Low quality microphone on the 3g model: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...-differences/;

- Potential heat issues: because of the extra hardware added to the iPad 2;

- More weight: the iPad 2 3G is a bit heavier;


What do you think about this and which model have you chosen???
maxap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:00 AM   #2
eyelobes
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I ended up getting a 16gb black model.

I didn't even consider the 3G model just for the sole fast that I can tether the iPad off of my android phone for free.

Also, I only got 16GB because I cloud all my music through Audiogalaxy and will get the camera kit for movie storage.

16GB *should* be more than enough for apps
eyelobes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:00 AM   #3
this is funah
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Berlin, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxap View Post
- Price: the 3G model is still more expensive than the Wi-Fi one (in addition to that you will have to pay for the 3G abonnement);
you pay for being able to use the internet without wifi... if it's worth it to you, thats not a reason not to choose the 3G version

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxap View Post
- Ugly design of the 3G model: I do not like the black plastic strip on the back of the iPad 2;
that's your opinion, and i agree with it. but again, it's probably worth having that there for NOT RELYING ON WIFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxap View Post
- The 3G version is less sturdy: it is quite obvious considering that black plastic strip (many users had issues with the first gen iPad 3G, which had broken strips);
i'd have to see tests that would prove this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxap View Post
- Potential heat issues: because of the extra hardware added to the iPad 2;
again, any tests that prove this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxap View Post
- More weight: the iPad 2 3G is a bit heavier;
the weight difference from iPad 1 to iPad 2 is said to not even be noticiable, how would a chip and an antenna really add much of a difference?


I think the functionality of the 3G outweighs any of these arguments, unless you have an iPhone with wifi hotspot (which I do) and doesnt require the need for 3G.
__________________
iPhone 4 iPad 2
Property is only a product of scarcity. Therefore, there is no such thing as intellectual property.
this is funah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:01 AM   #4
blevins321
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winnipeg MB
I got mine mostly for the integrated GPS functionality that's only in the 3G model. I was intending (and still do) to tether to my phone for web access, and just use the GPS chip of the 3G. The iPad 2 is my first iPad, so I can't speak to comparisons with the first one, but I think the plastic antenna guard is fine...don't forsee any issues with it.

The smart cover on the other hand...
__________________
Late 2013 15" Retina MBP; iPhone 5S; iPad Air
blevins321 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:04 AM   #5
SSpiro
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelobes View Post

I didn't even consider the 3G model just for the sole fast that I can tether the iPad off of my android phone for free.
This.

Why pay a premium for the device (ipad2), and a second 3G data package when I already have unlimited through VZW on my rooted droid?
__________________
[MBP2,2][160GB iPod][80GB iPod][Black 64GB WiFi iPad2][Black 64GB WiFi iPad1][Samsung Galaxy S3]
SSpiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:09 AM   #6
WLS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxap View Post
Hey fellow Apple/iPad lovers/haters,


- The 3G version is less sturdy: it is quite obvious considering that black plastic strip (many users had issues with the first gen iPad 3G, which had broken strips);

What do you think about this and which model have you chosen???
It's true the plastic strip damages easily. I had a 3G and dropped it while in a case to the floor and a chunk of the plastic still sheared off. I decided on a WIFI version for the iPad2 since I really didn't need 3G.
The WIFI is a better investment if you upgrade every year as you don't lose as much money.
__________________
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, but give a man a bank and he can rob the world..
WLS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:11 AM   #7
this is funah
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Berlin, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLS View Post
It's true the plastic strip damages easily. I had a 3G and dropped it while in a case to the floor and a chunk of the plastic still sheared off. I decided on a WIFI version for the iPad2 since I really didn't need 3G.
The WIFI is a better investment if you upgrade every year as you don't lose as much money.
Ahh, that makes sense. I thought he was referring to the overall sturdiness of the enclosing.
__________________
iPhone 4 iPad 2
Property is only a product of scarcity. Therefore, there is no such thing as intellectual property.
this is funah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:13 AM   #8
mullman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NC
Send a message via AIM to mullman
3G.

Better resale value
GPS
I'll be online when you can't find WiFi

__________________
Best, mullman
 since 1989
mullman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:15 AM   #9
maxap
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by this is funah View Post
you pay for being able to use the internet without wifi... if it's worth it to you, thats not a reason not to choose the 3G version



that's your opinion, and i agree with it. but again, it's probably worth having that there for NOT RELYING ON WIFI



i'd have to see tests that would prove this.



again, any tests that prove this?



the weight difference from iPad 1 to iPad 2 is said to not even be noticiable, how would a chip and an antenna really add much of a difference?


I think the functionality of the 3G outweighs any of these arguments, unless you have an iPhone with wifi hotspot (which I do) and doesnt require the need for 3G.
Strangely enough, you forget to discuss the microphone issue. or is it pretty much self-explanatory?
maxap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:19 AM   #10
this is funah
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Berlin, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxap View Post
Strangely enough, you forget to discuss the microphone issue. or is it pretty much self-explanatory?
the microphone issue is simply a good point
__________________
iPhone 4 iPad 2
Property is only a product of scarcity. Therefore, there is no such thing as intellectual property.
this is funah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:20 AM   #11
maxap
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by this is funah View Post
the microphone issue is simply a good point
Haha, true
maxap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:23 AM   #12
JayInNJ
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxap View Post
Hey fellow Apple/iPad lovers/haters,


Next week, the new iPad 2 will be released in Europe and I would like to have your opinions on my particular choice of the iPad 2 model.


Well, I decided to buy the 64GB Wi-Fi only version for the following reasons:

- Price: the 3G model is still more expensive than the Wi-Fi one (in addition to that you will have to pay for the 3G abonnement);

- Ugly design of the 3G model: I do not like the black plastic strip on the back of the iPad 2;

- The 3G version is less sturdy: it is quite obvious considering that black plastic strip (many users had issues with the first gen iPad 3G, which had broken strips);

- Low quality microphone on the 3g model: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...-differences/;

- Potential heat issues: because of the extra hardware added to the iPad 2;

- More weight: the iPad 2 3G is a bit heavier;


What do you think about this and which model have you chosen???
I refused to pay $129 for 3G. That is the biggest ripoff I have ever seen. A 3G chip is a few bucks. Look at the Kindle, it is only $50 more for 3G and it includes the lifetime 3G service. If anything it should be equal or cheaper for 3G and be subsidized like most smartphones/tablets.
JayInNJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:54 AM   #13
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInNJ View Post
I refused to pay $129 for 3G. That is the biggest ripoff I have ever seen. A 3G chip is a few bucks. Look at the Kindle, it is only $50 more for 3G and it includes the lifetime 3G service. If anything it should be equal or cheaper for 3G and be subsidized like most smartphones/tablets.
Well then isn't it a wonderful thing that you don't have to buy the 3G? After nearly a year of using my 3G, I would never consider a WiFi only iPad. I travel frequently and free WiFi, despite what everyone thinks, is a rarity. Even (especially?) in Europe, where the only free WiFi I ever encountered was at McDonald's. Having the option of 3G abroad turns a great device into a really great one. And tethering? It's not for me. And certainly not an option abroad.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:54 AM   #14
26.2
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chapel Hill
Cost.

If you live/work around wifi and have a smart phone, you can avoid 3G. Otherwise, open your wallet but have the benefit of connectivity always, depending on whether you choose ATT or Verizon though.
26.2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:55 AM   #15
26.2
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chapel Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
3G.

Better resale value
GPS
I'll be online when you can't find WiFi

That's an important consideration because apple is expecting you to sell it for half the price next year when ipad3 comes out.
26.2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:01 AM   #16
JayInNJ
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
Well then isn't it a wonderful thing that you don't have to buy the 3G? After nearly a year of using my 3G, I would never consider a WiFi only iPad. I travel frequently and free WiFi, despite what everyone thinks, is a rarity. Even (especially?) in Europe, where the only free WiFi I ever encountered was at McDonald's. Having the option of 3G abroad turns a great device into a really great one. And tethering? It's not for me. And certainly not an option abroad.
Obviously if you need it then you have no choice. But I just find it ludicrous that it costs more for the 3G option. I usually have at least two laptops, a blackberry, and kindle when I travel so I probably won't be bringing the iPad on the road with me.
JayInNJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:15 AM   #17
Pipper99
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
Well then isn't it a wonderful thing that you don't have to buy the 3G? After nearly a year of using my 3G, I would never consider a WiFi only iPad. I travel frequently and free WiFi, despite what everyone thinks, is a rarity. Even (especially?) in Europe, where the only free WiFi I ever encountered was at McDonald's. Having the option of 3G abroad turns a great device into a really great one. And tethering? It's not for me. And certainly not an option abroad.
Agreed. I tried the wifi model last year when it launched, and I was very frustrated by not having access unless I was in a wifi hotspot: the only place that I could get wifi was at home or at Starbucks or McDonald's, and I didn't like having to hunt down a free, accessible wifi spot every time that I wanted to use the internet. For me, the 3G is worth the cost. If you don't have a need for 3G, or if you have an option like a 3G phone that you can tether, then great.
Pipper99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:15 AM   #18
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInNJ View Post
Obviously if you need it then you have no choice. But I just find it ludicrous that it costs more for the 3G option. I usually have at least two laptops, a blackberry, and kindle when I travel so I probably won't be bringing the iPad on the road with me.
In the last 6 months I've spent 2 weeks in Europe and a week in Mexico with nothing but the iPad (in addition to business trips within the US). If I was traveling with everything you list, then I'd see your point.

Rather than finding it ludicrous that 3G (with GPS) costs more, be grateful that you can buy it without 3G/GPS for less. This "3G costs more" applies to Xoom and the Galaxy Tablet as well, Apple didn't invent it.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:51 AM   #19
JayInNJ
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
In the last 6 months I've spent 2 weeks in Europe and a week in Mexico with nothing but the iPad (in addition to business trips within the US). If I was traveling with everything you list, then I'd see your point.

Rather than finding it ludicrous that 3G (with GPS) costs more, be grateful that you can buy it without 3G/GPS for less. This "3G costs more" applies to Xoom and the Galaxy Tablet as well, Apple didn't invent it.
Agree, I am not just blaming Apple (only cited Kindle not being priced this way) for overpricing that option. If people are willing to pay this much for the option of paying an additional monthly fee, then they can sell it at any price they want. I am not willing to. The 3G chip plus other hardware would roughly be $3-5 (considering the A5 processor is $25). They should offer it as a subsidized option on Verizon and ATT, making it cheaper than the WiFi version or unlocked for the current price. However, since the precedence has been set and it still sells like hot cakes, I don't think they will move in that direction.

To answer the OP, the only answer is if you need 3G service then get it, if not then don't bother given the cost difference.
JayInNJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Can someone tell me 5 reasons why the iPad is better than the MacBook? DBZmusicboy01 iPad 34 Jan 21, 2014 02:06 PM
iPad: reasons to jailbreak iPad? carjakester Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 13 Jan 3, 2014 03:31 PM
Reasons why upgrading to the 5 aren't worth the hassle (and reasons why I should). Big.Mac.Daddy iPhone 9 Sep 20, 2012 09:33 AM
Reasons for purchase of an iPad... L4Leonard iPad 22 Jul 22, 2012 05:25 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC