Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
I have the setting to have it sleep never but today after I was gone for a couple hours and come back it was seeping with the indicator light fading in and out but I could not wake it no matter what I did. I plugged and unplugged the power adapter numerous times, I held the keys to do a force restart and it made no difference at all. I finally had to take the battery out and wait for a few minutes and then begin again. Anyone know why this would happend?? I thought if I check for it to sleep never, that it wouldn't go to sleep at all.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
BLDun said:
I have the setting to have it sleep never but today after I was gone for a couple hours and come back it was seeping with the indicator light fading in and out but I could not wake it no matter what I did. I plugged and unplugged the power adapter numerous times, I held the keys to do a force restart and it made no difference at all. I finally had to take the battery out and wait for a few minutes and then begin again. Anyone know why this would happend?? I thought if I check for it to sleep never, that it wouldn't go to sleep at all.

My girlfriend just had a similar problem with her new PB. She shut if off at night, and it was supposed to turn itself on at 8 a.m. as it usually does. However, it would not turn on. She tried hitting the power button, then holding the power button, but nothing happened. She flipped it over, checked the battery charge, and was about to remove the battery when it just suddenly came on, and the screen had a dialog saying "Are you sure you want to shut down?"

I know this is a rather vague description of the problem, but I wasn't there. Any ideas? Was it maybe just the monitor that wasn't working?

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
Maybe you have a malfunctioning sleep actuator in the display. This is the device which recognises when you close the lid.

Try running a magnet up the display bezel on the right side - does it sleep when you pass the magnet over it?

Try removing your battery and leaving the iBook unplugged for half an hour, this will reset the logic board.

Is your iBook a G3? you could try booting into OS 9 and seeing if the problem follows you.

Have you tried repairing permissions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.