Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawkizrok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
My iPAD 2 charges correctly when plugged into the wall. However, when plugged into a PC it displays "Not Charging" on the iPad and in iTunes. I am able to sync correctly.

My iPhone is also plugged into the PC and shows that it's charging (on the phone and in iTunes).

Any suggestions?

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
It is normal. Even though it says it isn't charging, it is charging just very slowly. It is because the USB ports on your computer don't give off as much power as the wall outlet.

iPad 2nd Gen

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
It is normal. Even though it says it isn't charging, it is charging just very slowly. It is because the USB ports on your computer don't give off as much power as the wall outlet.

No charging means no charging.

If you turn off the display, it will begin to charge slowly. But if you turn the display on, it will cease to charge. That's why the included adapter is a whopping 10W adapter. iPad needs its juice.

BmoreDrumGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
IPad requires a certain amount of current from USB devices to charge. Not all USB inputs put out the same. This is something that appeared with the first iPad as well. Not an iPad problem, but a USB not being powerful enough problem. Do a search and you'll get more info, I can't remember the specifics of it all.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
As first reply states, you will find that the iPad actually does charge, just quite slowly. I sometimes use my kindle charger to charge my iPad - takes overnight, but it does work just fine.

AndrewS

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bourbon Country
iPad needs 2.1 amps to charge and the USB port on *most* devices doesn't supply that kind of juice. I think the USB spec standard is 500mA.
iPhone 3GS is 500mA so it will charge. I think iPhone 4 is 1.1 amps.

iPad 2nd Gen

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
As first reply states, you will find that the iPad actually does charge, just quite slowly. I sometimes use my kindle charger to charge my iPad - takes overnight, but it does work just fine.

Once again, this works because your display is off while you charge.

eyelobes

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
wow 2.1 amps? That's alot. Thanks for that info. So normal USB wall chargers won't even work well then. A lot of then (non-apple/standard) are rated between 500 mAh to 1 amp.

That sucks, i'm going to have to buy another one of those white cubes for work then.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
If connected to a normal USB outlet, the iPad will charge if it is asleep but since it is asleep you cannot see it showing charging.

I left my iPad plugged into a normal USB plug overnight starting at around 35% battery and it will back up to 100% this morning. The lower power plugs are just limited in the ability to let you charge and use the device at the same time.

geko29

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
In the case of the original iPad, it required 2.48W to be awake with the screen on. Presumably the iPad 2 is somewhere in that vicinity as well. A standard USB port can output 2.5W. So when plugged into USB with the screen on, you get the "Not Charging" message, because it is indeed not charging at that point in time.

However, when the screen shuts off, the iPad will charge, albeit at 1/4 the rate it would with the 10W iPad wall adapter; half as fast as it would with the 5W iPhone charger. In my experience, this means it takes roughly 10 hours to go from 20% to full while plugged into the computer. Not a big deal for me, since I don't use it much during the day and I've been working 11 hour days lately. :D

TerryChan

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011

kimnicho

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Opposite

My iPAD 2 charges correctly when plugged into the wall. However, when plugged into a PC it displays "Not Charging" on the iPad and in iTunes. I am able to sync correctly.

My iPhone is also plugged into the PC and shows that it's charging (on the phone and in iTunes).

Any suggestions?

Mine is the opposite. Charges fine with USB but won't charge with AC adaptor. Apple store swapped out the A/C plug. One guy seemed to know the issue well as he rain to the back before I finished my story. Wonder if it's a common issue. All fixed.

Last edited:

epstewart

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2009
I just got my iPad 2 and, using its dock, hooked it to my iMac via a USB 2.0 hub that is populated with several external hard drives. It said "Not Charging." I moved the USB cable from the hub to a port on the back of the iMac and it is now charging. My iPhone charges when connected to the USB hub, but the iPad apparently needs to be hooked right to the computer.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
This could be because I use a laptop, but my iPad has never charged when plugged into my computer. The normal wall charger does just fine(even the iPhone charger, but it takes forever), but the best charge times I get with my iPhone and iPad come from my 10w wall charger.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
As others have said, it just takes a long time to charge from a standard 2.5W port. And, if you are actively using it, (as in, the screen is on,) there isn't enough juice left over to charge. I have noticed that if you have iTunes on, and something goes nutty, iTunes will get 'stuck' in "Syncing". If the iPad thinks it is syncing, it won't turn the screen off. I've woken up in the morning to find that my iPad didn't charge at all, stuck on "Syncing".

Finally, some laptops have some of their USB ports output lower power than standard. Those ports won't charge at ALL. And in some laptops (nearly all Windows laptops I've seen,) the USB ports don't get enough power to charge if the computer is in standby/sleep. Macs do provide charging power in sleep, but most Windows don't.

RobesNo1

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
For Asus motherboard, just install a driver, it will automatically increase USB output voltage when the ipad plug in.

I know Gigabyte and MSI has their own drivers.

I read some where that this Asus driver may work with any pc. :), I am currently using this on my laptop and desktop.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/Asus/Asus-AI-Charger-iPad-Utility-1006.shtml

or Directly from Asus

http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/ai_charger/

AsRock have a simlar tool:

http://www.asrock.com/feature/appcharger/index.asp

Works pretty well on the iPhone 4, still waiting on my effing iPad to be delivered so don't know about them yet.

timpala

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
For Asus motherboard, just install a driver, it will automatically increase USB output voltage when the ipad plug in.

I know Gigabyte and MSI has their own drivers.

I read some where that this Asus driver may work with any pc. :), I am currently using this on my laptop and desktop.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/Asus/Asus-AI-Charger-iPad-Utility-1006.shtml

or Directly from Asus

http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/ai_charger/

That just worked like a champ on my IBM T60p. Ipad2 is charging away!

corbryant

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
I like my the new MSI board I used in my new gaming rig. It has the USB 3.0 ports on the front and back, but it has something called SuperCharger' via those 3.0 ports. Install the SuperCharger software (drivers) and it fully charges an iPad as quickly as an A/C outlet. Works well with multiple devices too. We have 3 iPad 2s and they all charge nicely together.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It is normal. Even though it says it isn't charging, it is charging just very slowly.

Not always. My sister had an ipad plugged into her PC overnight with the screen off and it didn't charge a single percent. Just sat on not charging. She called me in a panic cause she thought it was broken. I told her to plug it into the wall cause her USB wasn't pushing power and likely never would.

Charged just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.