Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:55 AM   #1
ansabakhan
macrumors 65816

how to safely delete all personal data so iphone 4 stays on 4.0.1

my friend is selling me his iphone 4, he is on 4.0.1 and wants to wipe out all his personal data himself before he hands me the phone , he does not undestand jailbreaking or unlocking.

can some one please help me with what he need to do in order for it to stay on 4.0.1 and unlock-able and wipe all his data off the phone .

thanks
ansabakhan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:57 AM   #2
elan123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansabakhan View Post
my friend is selling me his iphone 4, he is on 4.0.1 and wants to wipe out all his personal data himself before he hands me the phone , he does not undestand jailbreaking or unlocking.

can some one please help me with what he need to do in order for it to stay on 4.0.1 and unlock-able and wipe all his data off the phone .

thanks
manually delete the info? takes like 10 mins.
elan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:08 AM   #3
ansabakhan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan123 View Post
manually delete the info? takes like 10 mins.
ok but what info is that ???? i am not sure how is it done on iphone manually ... i know if you do erase all settings it messes your phone us
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:13 AM   #4
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

Quote:
ok but what info is that ???? i am not sure how is it done on iphone manually ... i know if you do erase all settings it messes your phone us
settings/general/earse all content and settings

then if that doesnt delete everything connect to itunes, just dont say yes to upgrade and if there is still apps/music/pictures on it unsync or delete manuallly, pretty much do everything but restore in intunes that will update the OS
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:19 AM   #5
ansabakhan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post

then if that doesnt delete everything connect to itunes, just dont say yes to upgrade and if there is still apps/music/pictures on it unsync or delete manuallly, pretty much do everything but restore in intunes that will update the OS
I have heard "earse all content and settings" deleted every thing , even the iOs off your iphone ..that's why i am nervous about asking him to do that
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:19 AM   #6
WhatAmI
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post

Nvmnd
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Does he have shsh blobs on cydia?
If not I wouldn't try the erase all option cause it might mess up the phone and then you'd need to restore to the latest firmware.
Maybe delete his contacts, texts, email account and apps and log out of his iTunes account in order to stay on 4.0.1
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:27 AM   #8
ansabakhan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Does he have shsh blobs on cydia?
If not I wouldn't try the erase all option cause it might mess up the phone and then you'd need to restore to the latest firmware.
Maybe delete his contacts, texts, email account and apps and log out of his iTunes account in order to stay on 4.0.1
I dont know if he knows what SHSH is ... should he delete his contacts , emails and text app and stuff in itunes and sync it ?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:32 AM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
I dont know if he knows what SHSH is ... should he delete his contacts , emails and text app and stuff in itunes and sync it ?
Yes, that's what I would do cause most likelly he doesn't have shsh blobs and if you don't want to get stuck on 4.3
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:52 AM   #10
ansabakhan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yes, that's what I would do cause most likelly he doesn't have shsh blobs and if you don't want to get stuck on 4.3
thats a tab in itunes correct? sorry i am not good at this
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:45 AM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
thats a tab in itunes correct? sorry i am not good at this
You can do it thru itunes, if you sync with a new library it would remove all music, apps and everything from the old library that it was synced to.
You might have to remove a few things manually also on the phone like email accounts thru settings and log out from his appstore login etc...
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:45 PM   #12
Claude626
macrumors 6502

Well, if he is worried about his data persisting after you jailbreak the phone under your possession, then why not have him witness your jailbreaking process?

Since jailbreaking the phone pretty much requires a rewrite of the entire iOS, it will wipe clean of all his data.

I would assume you would want to jailbreak with the latest iOS version while retaining the baseband. This is what pwnagetool does, no?

He can then review the phone when you are done. It's basically a blank slate at that state anyways.
Claude626 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:30 PM   #13
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude626 View Post
Since jailbreaking the phone pretty much requires a rewrite of the entire iOS, it will wipe clean of all his data.

I would assume you would want to jailbreak with the latest iOS version while retaining the baseband. This is what pwnagetool does, no?

He can then review the phone when you are done. It's basically a blank slate at that state anyways.
That is false.
JB does not rewrite the entire iOS.
And pwnage tool hasnt been updated to work with 4.3 so he cannot use that either since he doesnt have shsh blobs for 4.2.1
Old Mar 18, 2011, 04:35 PM   #14
eastercat
macrumors 68040

If your friend is willing to d/l tiny umbrella, he can check which blobs he has. Or he can go to Cydia and check on the opening screen.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks