Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

125453-mobileme_cloud_logo.jpg

iLounge reports that Apple is planning to roll out its revamped MobileMe service next month, potentially unveiling a new cloud-based service allowing users to store their music, photos, and other content for access from any of a number of Internet-connected devices.
The source, who works for a major educational institution, claims the school’s supplier has said the current version of MobileMe is no longer available, and that Apple is suggesting new students sign up for the 60-day trial to cover the gap between the final MobileMe shipment and the launch of the new version.
The source also indicates that Apple plans to support the existing MobileMe service for the next year, suggesting that the new service may be different enough from existing offerings to allow the current program to continue for those who have already paid up for a year's subscription.

While we have reservations about the secondhand nature of the information originating from a "supplier", an April launch for the new MobileMe would fit with a report from earlier this month claiming that Apple will hold a media event early next month to preview iOS 5 and unveil the revamped MobileMe services.

Apple has been said to be working on an overhaul of MobileMe, and the company last month discontinued the retail box versions of MobileMe and removed the option for bundling discounted MobileMe service with new Mac purchases, suggesting that Apple may be downplaying its current MobileMe services ahead of the revamp.

Article Link: MobileMe Revamp Set for April Launch? Existing Support to Continue for One Year?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
It'll be interesting to see if this somehow folds into the rumored Mac on iPhone/iPad stuff that's floating around today. So the iOS "file system" so many big iPad users are clamoring for (including yours truly) becomes the files on your Mac. Which files also conveniently reside in the cloud.

It also serves the purpose of allowing iOS devices to play nice(r) with Macs from a file on/off/sync perspective.

Whatever the solution I really hope apple gets this right, and I am optimistic that they will. I've resisted changes to my current workflow and file management while waiting for an apple solution.

I am seriously excited for the April preview event...

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Beware that what is stored in the cloud is not protected by the usual Constitutional protections against government search, seizure, privacy, etc. Be prepared for warrant-less invasion of your privacy. Don't store anything on there you want private. No credit card info, no legal documents, nada.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wonder what it means for my long running .mac mail account that I've had since Mobile was .Mac and before that iTools.

Agreed, if I lose my email address, I'll be extremely disappointed to lose my email address :(

I've had this since iTools was rolled out where Jobs offered free email

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Agreed, if I lose my email address, I'll be extremely disappointed to lose my email address :(

I've had this since iTools was rolled out where Jobs offered free email

Man those were the days. Yeah I'd better not lose my email address.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Beware that what is stored in the cloud is not protected by the usual Constitutional protections against government search, seizure, privacy, etc. Be prepared for warrant-less invasion of your privacy. Don't store anything on there you want private. No credit card info, no legal documents, nada.

Be careful!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 6,525

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I can't wait!

It's this type of blind faith, with not one fact of what the service will be like, that is so unique and scary.

No wonder Apple is ultra successful, they don't even have to do anything and the customers opening their wallet at the mere suggestion of a new product.

Simply mind boggling.

Don't any of these fanboys think for themselves ?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I thought what they might do was to launch the new service for free.

But you'd not get much for free, and you'd have to take out a sub to get increased storage.

Those who already had paid for the year, would automatically get the paid/enhanced version of the new package.

That makes sense does it not?

Cagle

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Great news! Weird though, won't this evetuallyl bugger up the sales of their larger capacity machines? I bet they make a killing off that $100 price increase.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I think it's already been well established that because of the quality of broadband connections in the US, the amount of time it would take to upload say 20GB of music to a server would put this beyond the realm of possibility for most American consumers.

Actual uploading won't happen. Tag matching (or verification of music purchases from iTunes) is much more likely. Same with movies.

Flacofromny

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
Please be Free

all i want for this mobileme thing is to be free thats it..i ont wanna pay $100.00 for something that google offer for free...i dont wanna depend on google for anything..just apple..

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007

Stop thinking your information is so important. It's not. Governments only want our money. That's it.

Also, where are you getting the information about the Constitution? Is there an exemption clause in the Constitution about cloud storage? I missed that part.

Additionally, you should encrypt anything stored remotely. I have several terabytes of data on Backblaze, all useless without my encryption key. Is this really hard to figure out, or are you just trolling?

PittHockey

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
It's this type of blind faith, with not one fact of what the service will be like, that is so unique and scary.

No wonder Apple is ultra successful, they don't even have to do anything and the customers opening their wallet at the mere suggestion of a new product.

Simply mind boggling.

Don't any of these fanboys think for themselves ?

Do you? You're the exact opposite, blind hate.

MattiaC28

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
Milan, Italy
Really interested to see how they will handle existing paying customers if this becomes a free service.

me too, seen that my MobileMe subscription is going to renew this sunday...:(

I hope this "revamped" service is not based on advertising 'cause I really hate those banners/sponsored links at the bottom of messages. And I hope also they are going to boost iDisk speed, as of now it takes ages to upload/download a file through the Finder...

Big Dawg 23

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Minnesota
I am interested in to what changes. I just moved to the iPhone last week after deciding on leaving Android platform. I had many other Apple products except PC. yesterday I signed up for a now 60 day free trial to see how I like it. iDisk is the most likely all I will need. My phone and iPad function off of exchange from my work.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I think it's already been well established that because of the quality of broadband connections in the US, the amount of time it would take to upload say 20GB of music to a server would put this beyond the realm of possibility for most American consumers.

Actual uploading won't happen. Tag matching (or verification of music purchases from iTunes) is much more likely. Same with movies.

I use Fios, and I've been uploading to a cloud storage service at 700 KB/s for a month. At this rate, your 20 GB example would take less than 8 hours. It's roughly 57 GB/day at this rate. 8 hours is very reasonable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.